Touring skiing with "snowblades"
|
| Žiga2216. 10. 2011 21:49:03 |
I'm slowly planning to venture into the waters of touring skiing and wonder if anyone has experience with touring skiing using so-called "snowblades" as opposed to classic touring skis. What it is: http://www.curtissportconnection.com/images/Snow_Blades/SNOWJAM/99_rel_610_2011_m.jpg Why choose them: - much lighter and more mobile than regular long touring skis - greater maneuverability Does anyone do touring skiing and use such skis? Any specific advice (type of ski)? Can they be attached to winter boots with special bindings (similar to automatic crampons)? For snow walking, do you need snowshoes then, or are slightly shorter skins sufficient? Thanks for the help and best regards!
|
|
|
|
| lynx16. 10. 2011 23:48:40 |
This one will often sink in (both ways), since it doesn't look much bigger than bigfoot-k. With those you usually ski late spring and summer, when you have to carry gear high up to the snow. Works also with gojzars with skins, but your foot dances quite a bit. And possible gullies harder to cross and you fall faster into some tree-root hole. I don't miss agility with my 165 skis, and I regularly find myself in dense forest. btw http://trgovina.hribi.net/artikel/smuči_grimper_ski_set/5 
|
|
|
|
| DarjaZaplotnik17. 10. 2011 12:47:00 |
@turbo Hm, you must be damn good skier to ski down Jugovo in boots and short skis. Anyway @Žiga22 ski length is also related to skill. With these shorter ones you can ski many things, as entry into turn and execution of the turn itself is not problematic. But I'd say that skiing technique worsens significantly when you switch to normal length. These short ones force you into knees back position (weight back on butt), with normal long skis that's not possible. Knees have to push forward and inward. But as @lynx already wrote, problem with "bigfeet" also in deep snow, on hard base very unstable, longer glide naturally (too little glide), stability in mixed terrain. Useless for ascents, unless you get Sigurofix somewhere (I think that's the name). Looks like a clip-in for automatics and has heel lift function. So they are really more useful for extending the season. I sometimes take them just so after winter climbing I don't have to descend on foot. But I'm still "old school" alpinism and climb in plastic Scarpa , with which it's really no problem to ski. Otherwise I think it's almost more optimal to look for shorter (height -15/20cm) and lighter skis + light automatics. Quite a lot of used ones are sold. Hope I helped a bit. best regards d
|
|
|
You must log in to post a comment:
If you do not yet have a username, you must first
register.