Hike.uno
Hike.uno
Login
Login
Username:
Password:
Login
Not registered yet? Registration.
Forgot password?
      

Mišelj vrh via Koštrunovec

Print
mailman17. 08. 2018 17:17:15
Turbo described the route to this hill so nicely and simply that I just printed the text and "produced" it in practice. First time in these parts, so I was a bit lost around Malo polje and Mišeljska planina, but it wasn't bad. I'll tweak Turbo's description a bit, times change, and so does human intervention: where the path to Mišeljska dolina turns sharply left (under the bushes), we were supposed to look for "our" path in the bushes, but the bushes are cut, so the path couldn't be more obvious. Only higher up in the grasses do you lose it, but the direction is obvious, cairns are just right, so you need to think a bit. After the bend you come under the scree, there you don't need them at all, it's clear to go under the scree to the steep grasses and to the saddle. To the saddle physics works, I didn't zigzag, had "good legs" (cycling jargon) and did a "blitzkrieg" straight to the saddle!velik nasmeh Through the gully it's fun, just the start is tedious. Upwards everything is climbable, just stick to the right as turbo wrote. Nothing to add, tour "top notch"!!!jezik Down then along the ridge to Na Nizkem and down to the path.
Pasture.1
View of Lake Bohinj.2
Today's champion.3
Mišelj mountain pasture.4
Here and there they are. Just right.5
Under the scree and on the grass.6
This remained for the finale.7
Initial gully.8
Escapee from the tour to V. Oltar found herself and participated in the ascent. Triglav behind.9
Pyramidal relief on descent.10
(+6)like
anak18. 08. 2018 21:03:10
Today, 18.8.2018, via Koštrunovec to Mišelj vrh, which greeted us in the morning with a rainbow. Since we didn't find a cairn at the planina, we went our own way (quite directly from the planina) towards Koštrunovec - the crossings weren't too difficult, we noticed the first cairn only on the grasses under Koštrunovec. Onwards without problems. We descended westwards to the saddle and back to Planina pod Mišelj vrhom. We started at the upper parking lot at Rudno polje, the whole tour took us 6:45.
A rainbow greeted us in the morning1
edelweiss on the path2
Approach to the summit3
(+4)like
Mrki21. 09. 2018 19:22:50
Yesterday after a few years I visited Mišelj vrh again. This time via Koštrunovec. I started quite late at Rudno polje. Up to the junction for Malo polje there were quite a few hikers heading to Triglav, then I finally met two TNP rangers at Planina pod Mišelj vrhom who were counting chamois and other wildlife. No issues with orientation to Koštrunovec, although I strayed too much into steep grasses above the scree. I climbed to the top of Koštrunovec, then returned to the grassy saddle and headed along the ridge to the chimney and above it through grasses and scree to the summit. Due to approaching clouds I hurried a bit; the summit clouded over soon after starting descent. In Mišeljska dolina some marmots greeted me. After hours of solitude I joined the column of Triglav hikers towards Studorski preval and Rudno polje.
My goal emerged from the mists1
Mišelj vrh and Koštrunovec2
Škednjovec3
Junction into Mišelj Valley, the cairn is a bit collapsed4
The path towards Koštrunovec is widely cleared5
Scree below Mišelj vrh6
Mišelj peak7
8
Summit of Koštrunovec9
Šmarjetna glava from Koštrunovec10
Clouds over Stogi11
Towards the chimney12
View back from below the summit13
Towards Mišeljski konec and Kanjavec14
Planika with Triglav15
In Mišeljska Valley16
Planina Pod Mišelj vrhom17
Vernar and Tosc18
(+6)like
JTrogar1. 10. 2018 22:01:49
17.9.2018:
We started the tour at the end of the road on Pokljuka still in pitch dark. Since I was without a headlamp I walked in the middle. Just before the flat Na jezercu a nice day formed. At the junction Na zagonu we turned down to Planina pod Mišeljim vrhom. Up to here the path was dry, from there very heavy dew and cold, as we walked in the shade. The sun hit us only at the start of the ascent to Mišeljska dolina. Here we took time for breakfast. During the ascent my memory failed me. At the spot where Vladka said it's probably the turn-off for Koštrunovec, I confidently continued up and soon realized she was right. Since we didn't want to go back I found a crossing right there. With a bit of scrambling we soon bit into the steepness of Koštrunovec. Mate, sorry for the extra steps. Just below Koštrunovec sheep greeted us. The view got better with every meter gained. We ascended to Mišelj vrh on the left side via the gully. It went without any issues. During ascent there were numerous edelweiss in the grasses around us. On the summit we congratulated each other and took a longer break. Continued towards Mišelj glava. Plan was to go further along the ridge, but fog started appearing on the summits, so we turned right down under it into Velska dolina and marked to Vodnikova koča. After a stop before the hut we descended chatting pleasantly to the car and finished the nice tour at hotel Center on Rudno polje.
Best regards and safe steps from under the beautiful Golte, Janeznasmeh
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
(+9)like
ejti2. 10. 2018 21:45:54
Janez, apology accepted. velik nasmeh
A few of my pics. Great tour and nice company. nasmeh
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
(+3)like
serznoz2. 10. 2018 22:16:07
In recent posts everyone goes above Koštrunovec through the chimney. For me easier variant via the grassy ledge left of the chimney. Although there's also about 2m of "chimney" here, it's easier to climb on the right side. Then a partly trodden path leads along the exposed slope left of the rock, then traverse the slope almost to the gully and then right up through grasses. At the top of the grasses, on the ridge, both paths join.
Grassy gully in the middle, chimney on the right1
Traversing towards the gully2
View back, quite exposed3
Out of the gully to the right onto the grass4
Above the gullies the paths merge5
(+4)like
peter215. 10. 2019 15:56:08
Two-day ramble among autumn larches we started at planina Blato.
Before sunrise we were at planina Krstenica. From there to Mišeljski preval and into the solitary quiet Mišeljska dolina. We climbed to Koštrunovec, back to planina pod Mišelj vrhom. Beautifully colored larches provided views all afternoon between the mentioned planina, Malo and Veliko polje.
For overnight we used the still open Vodnikova koča (open until 20.10.2019).
Next day towards Kanjavec and Triglav Lakes, more about that tomorrow in next post.
Pictures:
http://www.petersfoto.si/thumbnails.php?album=datebrowse&date=2019-10-15
http://www.petersfoto.si
Koštrunovec1
(+6)like
skalar5015. 10. 2019 16:30:17
Admittedly it doesn't belong here but under "general chat" anyway ... again nasmeh ...

... if only some other PDs followed Vodnikova koča’s good practice and didn't close the doors in recent years' extended summer already mid-September but a month later ...
(+6)like
peter215. 10. 2019 19:03:11
Yes, really praiseworthy. The hut is also nicely maintained with friendly staff.
like
skala12330. 07. 2021 15:14:30
Yesterday nice circular via planina Konjščica and on via Studorski preval to Malo polje. From there unmarked but well traceable path to Koštrunovec. At the top short stop and waiting if the fog would clear. Mišelj vrh was wrapped in thick fog. After short discussion and slightly better visibility continued to the gully and on to Mišelj vrh summit. At summit again thick fog. Fog became sparser. Continued along ridge to highest summit Mišeljski Konec. From there descent towards path from Hribaric to Dolič and on to Vodnikov dom to start. Nice long tour offering wonderful views. First time on this path and no issues with orientation and path finding. The path through gully to Mišelj vrh requires some climbing, with little experience no big problems. But it's demanding on fitness, not for inexperienced mountaineers.

Nice mountaineering regards.
hut on the pasture Konjščica1
Studorski pass2
Trail junction3
Mišelj peak4
drying pond on Malo polje5
Trail junction6
Svizec7
Carniolan lily8
Steep path9
some cairns show us the path10
Edelweiss11
Koštrunovec12
on the top of Koštrunovec13
Mišelj vrh in the fog14
section of the path towards the gully15
Entrance to the gully16
section of the path through the gully17
view back to the climbed gully18
steep exit from the gully19
path towards Mišelj vrh20
Stamp on the summit21
section of the ridge22
Path along the ridge23
the fog is slowly leaving us24
Mišeljski Konec in the background25
Hut at Dolič26
path below Mišelj glava27
a little rest on the saddle below Mišeljski Konec28
at the saddle29
Triglav30
descent31
there are still some snow patches on the path32
view towards Hribarice33
path towards Vodnikov dom34
Vodnikov dom35
Velo polje36
at Studorski preval37
(+4)like
edoo30. 07. 2021 16:35:01
Nice that you post, I like to read it, but it would be nice if you posted a bit more accurate data. E.g. picture 26, and I also think the real name is Mišeljski konec, not just something on your own. Let someone else confirm. Regards
like
skala12330. 07. 2021 17:00:13
Thanks for the heads up, I made a little typing mistake, I fixed it.
(+1)like
garmont19. 07. 2025 20:58:57
Today from Blato to this panoramic peak.nasmeh
Turn-off to Koštrunovec found quickly and we climb to it. From there chimney nicely visible leading to summit part of Mišelj vrh. We descended over grass and scree and continued towards Škednjovca, where we take a path almost level to Mišeljski preval. From there it's not far to Krstenica and to Blato where I parked either.mežikanje
Regards
Morning Krstenica1
Škednjovec dominates2
Today's goal3
There are plenty of cairns here4
Mišelj vrh from Koštrunovec5
Chimney...6
...and above it.7
The steepness does not let up.8
Očak from the top9
Descent along the ridge...10
...down here...11
...and up there.12
Head of the Mišelj Valley.13
Rest at Jezerca.14
(+5)like
ur6s7721. 09. 2026 13:26:29
Yesterday I tried to reach Mišelj vrh via Koštrunovec. There were no major problems up to Koštrunovec. I climbed the section marked in red, but now I see that most go through a long chimney which is quite a bit more to the right. Can someone please confirm this?
Higher up I didn't feel well anymore, as the terrain was getting steeper and steeper, so I turned back instead. The descent through the grass to the start of the climbing part was quite strenuous. Then I ran out of time and energy, so I returned the same way. Until next time!
my attempt1
crossing a smaller chimney on the right2
point where I turned back3
(+2)like
lijaneja21. 09. 2026 15:54:24
From Koštrunovec you tackle Mišelj vrh on the left side where the rock is compact and doesn't exceed grade 2.
(+1)like
DVas22. 09. 2026 16:51:08
I went via the chimney, no major problems.
(+1)like
ur6s7723. 09. 2026 11:07:40
Lijaneja and DVas, thank you for the quick response. I'm just asking for orientation. I'm attaching a photo of the entire Mišelj vrh, taken from Koštrunovec (previous photos were taken from closer up). I went on the red path myself. Is the green path the one that most of you go up (GULLY)? Both are still on the left side of Mišelj vrh – red more to the left, green a bit more to the right.
1
like
kolosej23. 09. 2026 12:51:18
The green trail is the right one. It's the gully from skala123's comments, pictures 16, 17, 18 and garmont's pictures 6 and 7. Good luck
(+1)like
Trobec23. 09. 2026 14:16:31
I think I went on the red one, but I won't claim 100%. One part was quite exposed, but it was much harder already below Koštrunovec itself, because I went too directly upzadrega
I definitely have that picture 2 of yours photographed at practically the same place.
https://trobec.blogspot.com/2023/08/miseljski-greben-1582023.html
(+1)like
ur6s7723. 09. 2026 16:20:50
Kolosej: Thank you for the information. When I'm next in these parts, I'll try this variant too.

Trobec: Super photos. Regarding the path to Koštrunovec: you probably went a bit too straight up :-) (directly north of Planina pod Mišelj vrhom). I also climbed quite high because I was looking for the path marked on the maps, but the grass was getting steeper and steeper, and there was no path anywhere. So I descended and found the path from the western side (see GPS track).
Regarding Mišelj vrh, it seems you really went on the red variant. Did you bypass the smaller rock jump on the right side? This direction seemed even significantly more demanding to me than, for example, Škednjovčev's eastern ridge – steep grasses and considerable exposure. Does the terrain higher up, above the place where my third photo was taken, calm down a bit?
Planina pod Mišelj Vrhom1
View of Planina pod Mišelj vrhom from above2
My GPS track3
like
Page:123
You must log in to post a comment:
Username:
Password:
Login
If you do not yet have a username, you must first register.
         
Copyright © 2026 Hike.uno, Terms of use, Privacy and cookies