Hike.uno
Hike.uno
Login
Login
Username:
Password:
Login
Not registered yet? Registration.
Forgot password?
      
List of forums / Slovenia / General talks / Navigation App for Hikers

Navigation App for Hikers

Print
ana17. 09. 2020 07:34:22
turbo highlighted some pros and cons of paper maps. Battery can really be an issue, which is greatly reduced if you use offline mode.

Maybe one more: every paper map ends somewhere, which is a problem if you're near the edge of its coverage and the hike leads you into a gray area. And never, really never, will you see on a paper map what's beyond it nasmeh joke
With the app, you at least still have the basic map when you're outside the hiking one.

And maybe one more: there's much more chance you'll forget to pack the map in your backpack than leave home without your phone mežikanje
(+6)like
yyyeb17. 09. 2020 08:47:36
And the app has one big plus. It immediately shows your position, which is extremely important.
(+6)like
ana17. 09. 2020 09:16:16
...and in which direction we're facing, you can aim the tracking beam at the goal even in total fog nasmeh
(+3)like
dprapr17. 09. 2020 11:49:55
It's good to check the map before heading out on the trail. Also photos, if available. On the trail itself it's best without anything. These are just annoying things that don't let us fully experience what we came to the mountain world for. But technology tempts us more and more. Unfortunately.
In poor visibility what yyyeb mentions wins.
(+5)like
katarina.z6. 11. 2020 14:05:17
If I may add. This year I hiked Via Dinarica and for it there's only an app, no markings on the ground and no map exists either. And? Nothing, halfway my phone died first, so I had to buy a new one compatible with the app, then the location failed a few times or showed a point where I wasn't at the moment of viewing (anymore). So I walked twice on a path that wasn't mine, got lost on pathless terrain once, etc. Just like I don't like walking on markings because there are too many or none where absolutely necessary, walking by apps doesn't suit me either because it's too risky. Paper map for orientation is closest to me.
(+2)like
djimuzl24. 08. 2021 09:44:16
Useful page with reviews and comparisons of various hiking apps:

https://gzorz.github.io/karte/
(+4)like
miljer15. 12. 2021 09:12:33
On Garmin I use TOPO map v3.
Interested if anyone recommends or uses something else better and where to get it. Regards.nasmeh
like
yyyeb20. 01. 2022 07:36:32
If someone hasn't noticed, the Alpine Association of Slovenia has released an app that works offline too. It's called maPZS. Go to the website and there are instructions for use. It's pretty good.
(+1)like
kavchce18. 08. 2022 16:02:48
I use Garminexplore, free app, download topo map of Slovenia and then add gpx files from PZS. Works also with Garmin watch or phone without internet connection. So far great.
like
Page:12
You must log in to post a comment:
Username:
Password:
Login
If you do not yet have a username, you must first register.
         
Copyright © 2026 Hike.uno, Terms of use, Privacy and cookies