Hike.uno
Hike.uno
Login
Login
Username:
Password:
Login
Not registered yet? Registration.
Forgot password?
      

Swiss stone pine

Print
Okmodko7. 10. 2012 16:37:33
Does any of you mountaineers perhaps know where one could find larger areas of Swiss stone pine? It's supposed to grow on Smrekovec but I didn't find it. Then under Peč on the Austrian side, and I'm interested where exactly if I head there? I'd rather find out where the closest Swiss stone pine forests to Slovenia are in Italy or Austria?
like
lynx7. 10. 2012 17:22:43
It doesn't grow exactly on Smrekovec, but on Bela peč (towards Raduha), even closer under the summit of Krnes. Some remnants are still on Pohorje, but there it was definitely planted.
like
enjanez7. 10. 2012 19:20:40
Swiss stone pine is a characteristic tree of Nockberge National Park.

http://www.nationalparknockberge.at/natur-kultur/pflanzenwelt/baeume/zirbe.html

If you drive along the (paid) mountain road Nockalmstrasse, you'll definitely see it.
(+1)like
Holcar27. 10. 2012 20:27:34
why do you think, @lynx, that it was definitely planted on Pohorje?
(+1)like
lynx7. 10. 2012 20:58:02
Because they planted a lot of it at the beginning of the last century. Quite unsuccessfully, although the sites look suitable.
(+1)like
Okmodko8. 10. 2012 13:38:06
I was at Bela peč but didn't find it. Where exactly? nasmeh On Pohorje it's definitely planted yeah. I have a book where it says that. And the site isn't quite right for it either.
like
lynx8. 10. 2012 15:11:47
I don't know, I haven't consciously seen it here with us yet.
like
Holcar28. 10. 2012 20:50:16
why isn't the site on Pohorje right, you think? Do you mean too low altitude or something else?
zmeden
like
Okmodko9. 10. 2012 11:33:33
It's demanding regarding the substrate. Grows on non-carbonate rocks and acidic soils. Otherwise Pohorje is made of such rocks but Swiss stone pine never grew there. The ones they planted didn't succeed much either. Something is surely missing there. What exactly, I don't know precisely. I don't know it well because I still can't find it.
like
Okmodko9. 10. 2012 15:33:23
I don't know if he knew what he was looking for. Because he never found it and later they found out that this flower doesn't exist at all. Why wouldn't I know what I'm looking for?
like
lynx9. 10. 2012 16:46:15
It does exist, just not with us anymore.
like
Holcar29. 10. 2012 18:20:12
otherwise on Pohorje grows duglazija, that's some American conifer growing in rocky mountains, quite similar to pine, also to larch, fir, spruce and maybe more. Cones are something completely special and I couldn't describe them well, tree is thick with shaggy bark, grows quite high. Surely duglazija was also planted, but you probably agree it couldn't be planted anywhere, on Pohorje (otherwise mostly conifer forest) climate is still different than, I don't know, on Šmarna Gora. Duglazija is also quite rare on Pohorje.
@Okmodko: can't you find cemprin on Pohorje?velik nasmeh
(+1)like
Holcar29. 10. 2012 18:24:47
both duglazija and cemprin are mountain trees anyway, neither of which is native to Slovenia and it's logical that they are rare.
like
Holcar29. 10. 2012 18:26:55
If you look from afar, you can't really distinguish duglazija from cemprin because they have quite a similar crown shape and I've seen that shape on Pohorje many times already, so I don't know which tree it was.
like
Holcar29. 10. 2012 18:30:29
Oh, and whoever wants to look at something similar to cemprin, it grows in Ruše, below Pohorje (artificially planted in a short avenue). I base the similarity on the pictures you added and it's quite possible the plant isn't the same. Sorry for my ignorance, which in the field of botany is quite large anyway.zadrega
like
Holcar29. 10. 2012 18:31:23
In Ruše at the Petrol gas station, across the road.
like
lynx9. 10. 2012 19:00:03
Cemprin maybe even native, but hard to ascertain - probably need broader DNA analysis.
like
Okmodko9. 10. 2012 19:53:09
Oh yeah... I've found plenty of cemprins already, but I'd like to find a stand. Mainly so I could collect seeds and have my own. Otherwise there's no need to fool around. And duglazija isn't a mountain tree. Well, at least here with us in the hills it would freeze quickly because it doesn't tolerate colder temperatures. And I just wanted someone who understands it too to write an answer to the question and not some unimportant stories.
like
miri9. 10. 2012 19:59:37
@ Okmodko In the wider Idrija area it grows and very nicely. Even though temperatures reach -20 degrees or more.
like
Petr9. 10. 2012 21:30:18
@Okmodko
The forest stands of Arolla pine below Smrekovcem, which are declared natural assets of national importance, are on Končnikov vrh (NW of Krnes) and on Presečnikov vrh, east of the pasture or saddle Bela peč.

Interesting that you mentioned the data for Peca. According to literature it should be a few individual trees on the northern slope, probably remnant of a former stand. The location given is cirque Križe, between Kneps and Bistriška špica, at approx. 1800m a.s.l.

LP
(+1)like
Okmodko9. 10. 2012 23:02:29
Petr, thanks for the useful information nasmeh
like
Page:12
You must log in to post a comment:
Username:
Password:
Login
If you do not yet have a username, you must first register.
         
Copyright © 2026 Hike.uno, Terms of use, Privacy and cookies