Hike.uno
Hike.uno
Login
Login
Username:
Password:
Login
Not registered yet? Registration.
Forgot password?
      

Self-belay kit

Print
Zebdi27. 08. 2020 14:35:24
I read it, no worries. To summarize my posts:
- for self-protection only SVK with suitable quickdraws (with catchers!) is suitable.
- regular quickdraw without catcher can unclip on fall (friend's dynamic unclipped during slackline/highline fall, unfortunately he's no longer with us)
- outcome of fall on regular sling will be very, very bad. As demonstrated in the video above, at fall from 1m above bolt it actually doesn't matter if clipped or not.


Do we disagree on any of the above points?

P.S. To me dynamic for SVK is very impractical, but if others freeze..
(+2)like
dprapr27. 08. 2020 14:36:09
I'm interested if in recent years there was any study (here) on how many fewer accidents are due to use of SVK on our secured paths. Or, if there are data on how many accidents happened exclusively due to non-use of SVK on a secured path? Not meaning those few via ferratas in Slovenia where SVK use is undisputed.
(+1)like
Zebdi27. 08. 2020 15:21:00
dprapr, somehow it seemed to me that exactly this had already been discussed on this forum. Check page 6 of this thread - Jani Bele wrote an excellent contribution nasmeh
(+3)like
dprapr27. 08. 2020 17:07:22
You have a better memory than me. He really wrote well. I am of a similar opinion.
Rarely, but when I see this "fiddling" with SVK, I think where this consumer mentality and false security and responsibility has led us.
What is the perception of the mountain world with constant clipping on a normal secured path? At most I understand it when we have a child clipped in. Adult hiker who needs SVK on a secured path is there too fast. As J. Bele already mentioned!
Regarding via ferratas there is no dilemma. But there are fewer in Slovenia than fingers on a hand. That so many SVKs are sold anyway is interesting and scary.
(+3)like
Pi_is_exactly_327. 08. 2020 20:08:44
For illustration I marked on the picture where snow blocks the locking mechanism in the carabiner (see mark 1). When snow gets in, can't squeeze the handle anymore (see mark 1), so carabiner gate stays locked and can't be opened (see mark 2). Even shorter section on (south) snow causes this issue. Otherwise works excellently.
At the 1st one it gets stuck.1
like
recruit25. 12. 2020 17:23:04
More than 10 years ago I bought a "PETZL" brand self-belay kit, which hasn't been used even once and was stored in a dry closet and also untouched for all 10 years.

Today I bought a self-belay kit without harness (just the upper part/for kids) whose instructions said that kits after 10 years are no longer usable even if untouched or properly stored.

I don't have the instructions for the old kit.

Now I don't know if I should throw away that old kit and buy a new one or not. Also, my body weight is 5kg less than the maximum (without gear)

Thanks for your answers. Regards
(+2)like
lijaneja25. 12. 2020 22:07:00
The truth is not far off. Only natural materials withstand long periods of non-use, all synthetic stuff is toast after longer disuse. Years ago I had a chance to check it with my own eyes. A washing machine in constant use lasted (with occasional repairs) 25 years. Brand new, stored in the basement (packed) was after less than 10 years ready for the trash.
Of course it's not a proper comparison, but it makes you thinkzmeden
(+2)like
dprapr26. 12. 2020 10:03:29
Throw it away or buy a new one?
It depends on how much you like yourself.nasmeh
(+1)like
Lamps26. 12. 2020 16:34:09
I wouldn't use it for heavy via ferrata (hanging and dangling on clips). Not for climbing either. For demanding secured paths (Hanzova, Triglav via Plemenice, etc.) it would still be usable, as it would fully serve its purpose (greater safety and better feeling).

The decision is yours of course. If you plan to use this new one as little as the "old" one, I advise against buying.jezik
(+6)like
Mcgiver27. 12. 2020 19:17:13
Plastic ages alright... After about eight years I planned to go touring today. Ski boots stored in a dark and dry space. Good thing I checked at home if they still fit me.... velik nasmeh That's the result.....
1
(+4)like
grega_z_brega27. 12. 2020 19:55:54
Well, now you have new booties.velik nasmehjezik
(+3)like
Mcgiver27. 12. 2020 20:31:49
He he, even Mcgiver can't fix this anymore....... jezikvelik nasmehvelik nasmeh
(+4)like
dprapr28. 12. 2020 08:42:04
I pretty much agree with Tone that plastic degrades sooner when unused. But regardless, I wouldn't mess with these things.
Safety first.
(+2)like
bongo28. 12. 2020 09:01:00
You are completely right Drago. It's always interesting to me how people throw hundreds, even thousands of euros on various useless things and "Chinese eggs", but when it comes to helmet, SVK, boots, windbreaker, crampons, accident insurance etc. it's "Hmm, .. do I need it? Where to get the cheapest? The old one from my grandma's cellar is still fine ... " velik nasmehzavijanje z očmi
(+2)like
julius28. 12. 2020 11:02:18
For consideration.
During holidays I watched an episode from the series Gore Balkana on Aljazeera. This time Viki Grošelj led the team to Triglav. He was the central figure of the show. From Vrata via Prag to Kredarica and then Triglav. And what was the point?
Viki didn't wear even a helmet, let alone any safety gear. The Bosnians had helmets and nothing else!!!!
After the show I browsed old photos. The oldest are well over 60 years. Until a good 20 years ago almost nobody used a helmet on equipped hiking trails, let alone SVK.
Considering what people go to mountains now, their knowledge, behavior, what they do and how many, helmet use is really necessary. SVK is just a nuisance. Of course mandatory on real "feratas", but not on equipped hiking trails.
About quality we can debate, especially disparaging "Chinese eggs". If you inspect your expensive gear, shoes and clothes from top brands thoroughly, you'll find "made in .. China, Vietnam, Taiwan .." on all. Even our Alpina sells Chinese shoes under its name. Wolf-skin Jaka has no product made in EU.
In short, think well what gear you need and don't skimp on yourself. Buy real quality stuff. Helmet inspect thoroughly yearly, as it has limited safe life due to material aging. Same for all non-metal gear.
Therefore every whining
(+2)like
dprapr28. 12. 2020 12:31:59
" Up to about 20 years ago almost no one used a helmet when moving on equipped mountain trails, let alone SVK."
nasmehSome still don't use it now (SVK).
(+4)like
ppegan28. 12. 2020 12:43:11
On our demanding secured SVK trails I haven't used it yet (not counting ferratas here), and I've already walked most of them. And survived without bruises nasmeh I use a helmet where necessary, i.e. where I know something might hit my head or where there's a chance I might accidentally bump into something myself velik nasmeh
(+2)like
bongo28. 12. 2020 13:09:45
Julius, those quotes there aren't just like that. A Czech isn't the same as "czech" you get it, right?

Comparing the path to Triglav (with Bosnians or without) in 1960, 1980 or 2000 with the path to Triglav today (say July, August and September) is pointless - and for less experienced I can even say unhealthy. Because it's not about courage, experience or the like, but about common sense.

There are many, many, many more hikers with experience from "0 to 100". Today people move in hills and mountains for whom you don't know how they don't trip or kill themselves on flat ground. There are also countless chamois and ibex who don't care if there's a Czech or "Grošelj" below, they'll trigger rocks and stones (in)voluntarily. It's entirely your decision whether you put a helmet on your head and SVK around your waist. I always have it on for very crowded secured paths (especially on Triglav), as I've seen a lot there. Including panic attacks of fear and more. I won't even write about mandatory helmet on head.

I don't know you and don't know what and how, but I always buckle up in the car with seatbelt (dad didn't for a long time because it "wasn't necessary") and when I go biking, I put on a helmet (as a kid I didn't, since I didn't think about it, nor were there any). For myself and at the same time not for myself, if you get me. Whoever has a helmet in the mountains and/or moves on "easy" sections with SVK aid looks quite smart and responsible - towards oneself and others. How it looks to you and how it was back then is pointless.
(+7)like
dprapr28. 12. 2020 14:12:55
If you acted "smart and responsibly", you wouldn't go to Triglav at peak time at all.nasmeh
(+2)like
bongo28. 12. 2020 14:45:46
Eh... no point. Don't forget where the best usually fall. Good luck
(+4)like
Page:123...10111213
You must log in to post a comment:
Username:
Password:
Login
If you do not yet have a username, you must first register.
         
Copyright © 2026 Hike.uno, Terms of use, Privacy and cookies