Hike.uno
Hike.uno
Login
Login
Username:
Password:
Login
Not registered yet? Registration.
Forgot password?
      

Slovenian Way of St. James

Print
sla20. 08. 2024 20:17:14
Bravo!!!
(+1)like
bagi21. 08. 2024 11:57:42
Day 3 - Vavta vas / Stična

Definitely the hardest day. Not so much because of the many kilometers, but because of the sultry weather, lots of greenery on the path and no refreshment spot. Officially there are two, but that day sadly both closed. Luckily we had enough water, just the mood wasn't too olympic this time zavijanje z očmi.

For start we made a steep ascent from Vavta vas over Straža high above the valley across the slopes of Straška gora. The path is quite overgrown, mosquitoes tracked us quickly too. Higher up the shade of tall forest hid us from the sun and so it was all the way to Dom Frata. Sadly closed. Followed descent into Globodolska dolina and another steep ascent over Šmarva to Vrhtrebnje. From there on the path is so overgrown that we made a longer detour on the road. In Selu pri Šumberku the second refreshment spot - bistro Brigita was closed, so we gave up on them for that day. Despite the heat we pulled through in one go all the way to Ivančna Gorica, where finally a longer break followed. We missed the monastery accommodation, so we overnighted just before Stična at guesthouse Edenski vrt. Price normal, experience very special nasmeh.
Morning coffee and cheese strudel from the nearby bakery, excellent combination for trail food :)1
The Jakobova pot stamp is located at the church in Vavti vasi2
One last time we cross Krka, then Straža and a steep ascent over the slopes of Straški hrib follow3
In the lower section the forest path is overgrown, but there are plenty of signposts of all kinds4
Higher up it flattens and enters high forest5
Another one of the many markers of our path6
Already on the way to the Frata hut7
Unfortunately that day the doors were firmly shut and we only took time to air our feet8
This is also the St. James Path and in shady areas moreover quite wet from dew9
Soon we descend into the Globodolska Valley10
Three villages are on this plain and this is the first, Dolenji Globodol11
Old school whose days are certainly numbered12
Midweek and not much life is to be seen in any village13
Only cultivated areas and the clatter of tractors bear witness to human presence14
From here on it's no joke anymore. A long knee-killer follows :)15
Past numerous weekend houses it steeply climbs towards Šmavr16
The European walking path E7 also passes here17
He, he … a sign from some other era18
It was really steep, but the view is beautiful :)19
We continue towards Vrhtrebnje20
In between the path brings us to Trebnji vrh with a bench and beautiful shade. Here we catch our breath21
Vrhtrebnje. From here the St. James Path is so overgrown that we detour along the road22
Home made progress. Clio on solar drive, but it obviously ran out of electricity in the middle of the field :)23
The day is getting ever hotter, shade not even a sample …24
The second guesthouse is also closed, so we can only continue. The landscape is still beautiful :)25
Countless villages rush past us, kilometers diligently accumulate26
We're not exactly on the highway, but otherwise we're doing quite well :)27
Still a few incredibly long kilometers follow before we finally reach Ivančno Gorica. Break!28
There we buy everything needed for dinner and head towards Stična laden like mules29
Today we will park here30
Edenski vrh is a truly special place, years of work by enthusiasts31
We will sleep in an old barn converted into guest rooms32
GPS track of the third day. Also this time we covered 43 km and 1200 m elevation, but more strenuous :)33
(+3)like
bagi22. 08. 2024 11:51:32
Day 4 - Stična / Ljubljana Castle

We started still in the dark. The previous day had smoked us like čevapi and we wanted to avoid that as much as possible. Quickly we rose above Stična and along forest slopes through both Dobrava headed towards Višnja Gora. There a stop followed, then ascent towards Blečje vrh and Polica. These are our areas, hiked many times. Quickly we were at Magdalenska gora and over Orle at Ljubljana's Golovec. Here we were almost at the photo finish velik nasmeh. Followed descent towards Gruberjev kanal and ascent to Šance right near the castle. From Grajski grič we descended to old Ljubljana and at Jakob church stamped the last stamp. Only the return home followed, this time with the comfort of four wheels nasmeh.
On the last day we get up really early and arrive at Stična abbey still in the dark1
We should have slept here the previous day, but they accept guests only until 5 p.m.2
The early hour pays off for us, and in the morning freshness kilometers pass quickly3
Soon we sight Višnja Gora. There we will make a break4
We don't need the old center, everything we need is at the shop next to the post office5
Then past Dedni Dol we continue to Blečje vrh6
In between some overgrown path follows, so we choose it across mown meadows7
Blečji vrh. From here on we'll walk on asphalt for quite a while8
Polica with Jakob's church. Next to it is a shelter for pilgrims9
Descending towards Perovo. Luckily there's not much traffic, so the road isn't unwelcome10
Soon we're back on gravel, far from the noise and exhaust fumes11
Our home mountain :)12
The path doesn't end at Magdalenska of course, so we continue13
We know these areas well and exactly what awaits us around the bend14
Spanish fighters, oops … fighter :)15
Passing by, we're at Golovec, where the Jakobsweg markers are on dedicated poles16
The path over Golovec is always beautiful. We also meet many recreational walkers17
This sign is dedicated solely to the Jakobova pot18
Crossing over Gruberjev kanal19
We're already at the castle wall. Next comes a jump to the highest point of the castle hill, Šance20
View of Ljubljana … 21
The hot weather shows a little, but supplies are still sufficient :)22
View of the castle …23
… and on the roofs of old Ljubljana24
Rare moment without tourists :)25
Final part. The stamp box is at the entrance to Jakob's church on Levstikov trg26
From here we'll continue towards Primorska next time27
GPS track of the fourth day. It accumulated 40 km and 1000 m elevation gain.28
Entire track from Bregana to Ljubljanski grad.29
(+4)like
bagi7. 10. 2024 13:38:44
We had just nicely finished the Lower Carniola part of the Way of St. James, already the coastal one came up nasmeh. Of course we continued from the same point where we stopped then, that's in the old part of Ljubljana. Yellow markings first took us to PST, then on Vič directed towards Barje. Across it we walked for hours all the way to Vrhnika, where the path became a bit more varied. So it was all the way to Logatec, where we overnighted first time. The elevation profile of the first day is mostly flat, as in 40 km we did only 500 m ascent.

The next day suited us better, as it had many more ups and downs. Due to heavy rain a few days before at the junction just before Planina we chose the right variant, which is the only sensible one in case of flooding on Planinsko polje. This climbs to the hills above Planina and joins the lower variant in Strmec village. I've walked both and would choose the upper path again. It avoids not only floods but completely also the noisy road in the valley. Followed descent through several villages towards Predjama and further to Razdrto. Not many accommodations here, so we overnighted a good kilometer off the path at farm Hudičevec.

Next morning crossing under Nanos to Vipava valley. We came out in Podnanos village, where you can also refresh. Continued towards Podraga, then Avber and Tomaj and already at Italian border. As obligatory we visited pilgrim shrine Tabor, where we pressed the last stamp of the Way of St. James. There are really many on the Primorska branch, but further I didn't spot any more. Followed hurried steps towards Opčine, as short day surprised us. We arrived there in dark and luckily found accommodation right away. Friendly host even warmed the room for us, though we were glowing ourselves velik nasmeh.

Dawn of the last morning. For send-off we first fueled up well at guesthouse by main tram station, then headed to Trieste. From Opčine on the Way of St. James part is unpleasantly routed along main road. This part is well marked with yellow shells, need to watch for right turnoff. It turns to less traffic streets and so to the shore at Canale Grande. From there to church of St. James / San Giacomo almost two more km walking. The church is on a hillock and easy to mistake with nearer San Giusto, so careful those going first time.

From church we returned to shore and went to main bus station. It's almost at same location as railway. For return home we chose Flixbus, first time. Generally I don't have good opinion of these buses from experiences in daily traffic, but as passengers no complaints. Bus comfortable, seats assigned by ticket, departure on time. Flixbus has reserved platform 2 at Trieste station, before boarding driver checks QR code on tickets. These need to be bought online beforehand, process similar to plane reservation. Prices vary a lot by reservation day, line and bus occupancy. I managed to get two tickets for only 32€, much less than train and faster too. Arrival in Ljubljana on time and with that we fully finished this trip nasmeh.
Stara Ljubljana, where we finished the Dolenjska branch of Jakobova pot in summer1
The shell indicates the direction, just waiting for the starting green :)2
Along the Ljubljanica we continue all the way to Prulski most, where we cross to the other side3
Soon we are on the Path of Remembrance and Comradeship, where we mainly meet dog walkers and their pets4
At the famous Murgle the first sun greets us5
Then comes Cesarska cesta, after which we turn onto a morost6
This year there is a huge amount of fruit and without props the branches would break in many places7
Notranje Gorice. Here we cross the railway and keep to the right side8
Somewhere here should be the first stamp of Jakobova pot ….9
We return a few meters back and find it in the corner of the pizzeria Pr'Pavlet10
Soon we leave the last houses and are again in another world. We will walk along the old channel of the Ljubljanica11
In between an interesting acquaintance greets us … Pentlja. A few years ago we walked it in full12
I see the Učna pot Bevke for the first time. Numerous info panels contain a lot of interesting information13
Church of St. Jacob near Blatna Brezovica. Here is the second stamp14
Next to the church there is also a sign for Bobrova pot, also unknown. Obviously the local tourist societies are quite active :)15
Blatna Brezovica, a mixture of farms and ordinary residential houses. No mud from the name anywhere :)16
Autumn dawning. The wild vine is already changing color17
Quite low underpass under the motorway. Good we don't have travel backpacks :)18
The somewhat lower-lying road the Ljubljanica certainly floods several times 19
Vrhnika, ascent follows along Na klancu street20
The street name is indelibly associated with Ivan Cankar's book21
View of part of Vrhnika from Fijolčna gora22
Cankarjeva Sv. Trojica, mentioned in the book Aleš iz Razora23
We go our own way and climb past Starga malna towards Logatec24
When we enter the *Bear area*, it naturally requires a short break :)25
In Logatec he sleeps at gostišče Jeršin and sets off early in the morning26
There is frost and autumn mists are spreading everywhere27
The dew is also quite heavy and soon we are wet up to our arses28
Ruined tower at Kališče. For safety reasons they removed the entrance ladder29
Through abundant moisture we continue towards Planina. Good we have tried-and-tested shoes30
Important junction. In case of flooding on Planinsko polje the right path variant is necessary31
Due to constant precipitation we too turn preventively towards Grčarevec32
Here Jakobova pot joins the Planina-Grmada mountain path33
Accordingly the path is somewhat better trodden, above all it is quite steep several times34
Lipeljska jama right by the path. Entrance unprotected, depth approx. 30 m35
Interesting signpost on the left. This time the lower variant, another time the upper :)36
Church of Sv. Marija pod Grmado. Besides the stamp it also has some first aid :)37
A considerable descent follows and we emerge in the village Strmec38
We had already walked this road in spring when we did a loop via Sv. Lovrenc, Špilnik, Planinska gora and Grmada39
Studeno and church of Sv. Jakob40
No official stamp yet a good decade ago, but I got a duck stamp from the kindergarten by the church :)41
Still a long way ahead, so we continue right away. Longer break awaits later …42
In Bukovje both the shop and the bar are closed, so we only stop in Predjama. Fortunately, there are no longer many tourists.43
We continue, direction Razdrto. The path to Nanos branches off much earlier.44
A long day lies behind us, unusually warm for the autumn time.45
The day is departing, so we have no time for that kind of energy boost. We hurry towards the accommodation.46
We slept at the Hudičevec farm. Breakfast was excellent and full of energy we go into the new day.47
Nanos recognizable from afar. The path will lead us along its foothills.48
Wind turbines are also characteristic of this venduto. The right one works without pause, the left one whenever. There are no chopped-up birds anywhere.49
For the first time we spot the Trst sign, our final point. But for the motorway we are a little too slow :)50
Therefore we continue nicely along the footpath, direction Podnanos.51
This is a beautiful path. Well-trodden and shady, even and comfortable.52
For some time we cross the hillsides, then the path descends into the valley.53
First we pass through the small settlements Hrašče and Podbreg.54
Then we reach Podnanos, where the inn is even open. As a bonus, we coincidentally meet a good acquaintance :)55
After substantial sustenance and chatting we continue through Podraga, where the chapel of St. Jacob and the official stamp are located.56
Along the path and lifeless …57
Along the path and very much alive. He just doesn't feel like barking :)58
This area is quite vinicultural, hence vines everywhere.59
They have also set up proper trellises, but to leave a bunch for us, no :)60
This year there are huge amounts of chestnuts too. Some are already on the ground.61
Štjak. No one anywhere, everything deserted …62
Literally in some places63
Here is the church of St. James and another stamp. There are really many on the Primorska branch64
We leave the village and continue on typical rough macadam …65
Kavadurji, such an unknown word that I search the net at the first opportunity. They had hard work, chiselled in quarries with hand tools66
Quite a few kilometers since the last break, and we can hardly wait for the stop in Avber67
With full bellies the path is immediately nicer :). Next Tomaj and Kreplje, then direction Italy68
Undoubtedly, Italy is right in front of us69
Still to come is the ascent to Tabor. We have visited it many times and always liked it70
Official plaque. The present structure is from the 15th century, the original one a century earlier71
At the top we catch the last sun. Daylight is quite short, so we will have to hurry72
To Opčine we have a full five kilometers left and darkness catches us thoroughly towards the end73
Still looking for accommodation. Since Tabor we have been on high revs, consequences visible at the end :)74
Next morning. Lucky us, the nearby bar at the main tram station is open, rich selection75
This will probably soon be history, as there are more than enough bus connections76
Interesting that in Opčine the tram line with stations is fully renovated. Completely different in Trst, where the track rather decays77
Trst, final destination. To St. James church there is still a long way78
Of course it doesn't go other than through narrow streets. Cars parked everywhere, dense traffic79
Slowly pushing to the coast where for the first time I see such a huge almost 300 m long floating hotel (Cunard / Queen Victoria)80
Then we turn into Canale Grande for the obligatory cappuccino. Price = 1.8 € for comparison with our tourist spots81
Everywhere huge numbers of scooters of all sorts, even dedicated parking for them. Cars mostly scratched, plenty of dents too82
The final goal follows: Jakobova cerkev. The path to it is not exactly short and is quite distant from the city center.83
We are already here. With this we also conclude the Primorska branch and simultaneously the entire Osrednja Jakobova pot.84
GPS track. We walked 127 km and 3100 m of elevation gain.85
(+7)like
bagi16. 04. 2025 18:04:13
Prekmurje-Styrian direction

I did the Dolenjsko-Primorska and Višarska directions of the St. James Path right after they were routed and repeated them many times, but with Prekmurje-Styrian I kept putting it off and off zavijanje z očmi. Somehow it didn't get under my feet. A longer period of nice weather and a bit of moral debt to myself finally got me to visit this direction.

The Prekmurje-Styrian path starts at the Hungarian border, so it was initially called the Hungarian path. Since that doesn't sound too nice, they later renamed it to the current name. It ends in Stanežiče near Ljubljana, where it connects with the Višarska direction. From the border to the junction it's about 280 km long, with approx. 6500 m elevation gain. In Prekmurje it's flat, later quite hilly. Most of the path is on asphalt of some kind, only a smaller part has foot-friendly surface. Accommodations are sparingly spaced, so lots of planning needed for sleeping. That's why it's good to know how many km per day are still humane for each person nasmeh.

Due to logistics I first went to Hungary, overnighted there, then headed to Ljubljana all the way to the St. James church under the castle. This added some extra km, and more came from unexpected path complications. More in the stories by daily stages …
Walked path. Length 305 kilometers, approx. 6500 m elevation gain, 8 days of hiking1
(+4)like
bagi17. 04. 2025 12:42:01
Day 1

First I had to get to the starting point. The start of the St. James Path is at the Kobilje border crossing, but no useful connection there. Nearest accommodation is on the Hungarian side, so idea quickly went that way. From Ljubljana by direct train to Murska Sobota, then local bus to border village Genterovci. All together around 15 € at regular prices. Bus dropped me in the middle of nowhere and my walking to Hungary began.

No need to emphasize it's all flat around there nasmeh. Path led on tracks through endless fields, lucky it was relatively dry. If muddy, I'd be trudging through thick mud and boots would fill from top to bottom fast velik nasmeh. Anyway, landscape has its beauty, border villages poor sort, saw no people. Probably watched from afar, hiker with big backpack not common there. Then dinner and overnight in chosen inn, then into new day. More in photo-story …
First, I have to drive from home to Ljubljana1
There I board an international train with a direct connection to Murska Sobota without transfers2
Faithful companion on many journeys :) We already have thousands of kilometers behind us3
Railway station in Murska Sobota. I get off here.4
Local bus takes me to Genderovce.5
One of the rare locals :)6
I cross the border on a dusty gravel road.7
Border post.8
Tributary Nagy ásás. Tongue twister :)9
Plain with a capital letter.10
Path intersections are marked by crucifixes or rusted signs on posts.11
Ahead of me are 6 km of such terrain …12
Sometimes everything you can imagine is dumped there.13
After slaloming between puddles, I finally reach asphalt and the first village.14
I cheerfully gossip with two Hungarian women, but they just stare at me blankly :)15
First impressions. This house is still inhabited.16
Some houses on the left, some on the right, in between potholed asphalt.17
Here poverty is striking. Rarely do I see a tidy house.18
Along the path …19
Another snapshot ...20
Mullein doesn't usually flower, but this one managed :)21
My accommodation is in the place Nemesnép. A bit aside, one can stay elsewhere too.22
Local dish. Yum!23
Obviously I'm suspicious. The apparently untouched and locked room was quickly searched by someone during dinner. Technology gave him away :)24
On the first day I walked 14 km and whole 50 m of ascent :)25
(+6)like
bagi18. 04. 2025 09:48:24
Day 2

Left accommodation with eastern neighbors early morning and headed to Slovenian border. There the St. James Path officially starts and first sign waited already on the Slovenia sign. Signs plenty further too and quickly racked up km on Prekmurje plains. In between arranged overnight at end of day, but that proved harder goal.

I counted on crossing Mura by ferry, as the path is routed. But so-called Tinekov ferry operates only weekends and only in warmer months. Important info, as no notice about operating hours at ferry turnoff. Detour to Mura crossing over road bridge added 4 km one way, which later pushed km beyond good taste zavijanje z očmi. Good I'm used to such paths and asphalt.

Anyway, end was in beautiful setting of Jeruzalem hills nasmeh. First time there and walking in nice weather real pleasure. Inn where I arranged stay turned out excellent choice. Staff politeness, ambiance, super dinner and clean room with great view were healing plaster on all day's km velik nasmeh. More in photo-story …
I leave the guesthouse early. The previous evening they locked the doors, so I use the window not very elegantly for the exit :)1
Typical well of these areas. Every house has at least one.2
A very special bell tower. On the Slovenian side I haven't noticed a similar one.3
From Nemesnép I have another 4 km to the border. No traffic, the morning chill is just right.4
Border crossing Kobilje and the first marker of the St. James Path.5
This cart track brings me to the first sunlight.6
Kobilje and the church of St. Martin.7
The route continues through outlying hamlets.8
As well as through sparse woodland. Where possible, I walk along the edge of the road.9
I'm already in the second municipality. It is known for growing orchids.10
Here a completely new, still perfumed cyclist awaits me :)11
Easter roundabout. Nice :)12
Another specialty in these plains. Jesus on the cross always has company.13
Dedicated info board on the St. James Path and first stamp.14
Lendava River15
Sprinter for short distances :)16
Company again, style similar as in Spain17
No shade from trees yet, but at least I have a cyclist18
Exceptionally beautiful church of the Holy Trinity in Odranci19
Ethno village by the Črnec stream20
Once there were mills here21
Everything is nicely explained22
I just need to cross the Mura. But here it breaks down …23
They loudly warn me that Tinekov ferry doesn't work24
Nothing else is left to me but to continue on a much longer detour25
I cross the Mura far away over the road bridge at Razkrižje, almost 4 km off the path26
Bus station with a typical motif :)27
Here beautiful cottages are at home …28
And strange *artistic* installations. This one is neither the first nor the last …29
Near Podgradje I arrive at the fish farm area30
Beautiful places these are. Lakes follow one after another31
At the break …32
The last of the lakes. I have been walking along them for a good kilometer33
Pomurska mountain path, although there are not many mountains :)34
But that's why Jeruzalemske gorice, wonderful thing :)35
You can see far and everything is nicely maintained.36
Another one of those strange creations. Maybe that thing about half a per mille in the air really applies here :)37
The beautiful landscape continues …38
Along the path …39
Along the path …40
Fortunately, I am walking along the top of the scenic ridge.41
Along the path …42
Along the path …43
End of the day. Dinner and gathering of impressions from the path follow.44
Evening view from the balcony of my room.45
GPS track of the hiked path. It added up to 51 km and 450 m of elevation gain.46
(+6)like
bagi20. 04. 2025 12:10:33
Day 3

After an abundant breakfast, I barely got myself on the path velik nasmeh. But the landscape around me quickly chased the fog from legs and head. Again beautiful views, just the right morning coolness and discovering unknown places. I had no special problems on the path, but had to use the GPS track at some spots.

It happens that some sign is deliberately removed, overgrown or otherwise hidden. Usually if you don't see them for long, the path is almost surely elsewhere. Here they reliably follow the rule that the scallop shell as a sign always points the direction with its fan. Not everywhere in Spain.

The day was already a bit more hilly, Prekmurje plains behind me. The Styrian part of the path came, I overnighted in the center of this region … Ptuj. More in photo-story …
Morning from the balcony. I head for a tasty breakfast, then continue on.1
It really is beautiful. Upon conclusion of the entire path, this part was my favorite.2
View from Kogl, where there is also a stamp box with a stamp.3
Today is a somewhat more varied day, but not particularly hilly nonetheless.4
There are many such houses, built raw and already inhabited.5
The markers for the St. James Way are yellow. Most are arrows, shells can also be found.6
The magnolia is just preparing to bloom.7
This might be a Japanese quince, but I'm not sure.8
But I'm sure this one has helped put out many fires.9
Finally some macadam, short-lived though, but still.10
Ormož, Kerenčičev trg.11
Soon after it, the St. James Way turns right.12
Crosses Lešnica on attractive footbridges, then gets lost a bit in the grass and reappears on a gravel road.13
Soon after, the path turns into a grove with Roman tumuli. There is also an info board with explanations.14
There is not much forest, soon I am back in the open.15
In places the path even goes across meadows.16
Good view again. I will descend towards Vejka Nedli :)17
Excellent choice for a weekend. Has everything the big ones have, even a house number :)18
Next to it running water on manual drive :)19
Velika Nedelja Castle20
The mighty castle is said to have its foundations from as early as 1270.21
But I go on. At St. Anne's chapel I leave the elongated Vejko Nedlo.22
It's nice here too. Hilly and scenic...23
Easter is right at the door.24
Farmwife and her chickens. They don't need much food, nor are there eggs :)25
Exactly here I must. Markings are not plentiful, so GPS comes to help.26
Ahead it's better. Unfortunately locals remove markings in places.27
This is an interesting thing. A ruin hiding a technical jewel.28
Inside is a huge grape press. The sides of the transverse beam are over a meter wide.29
It was made in 1845. The client and maker are also inscribed on the beam.30
Unfortunately the press will go the way of that nearby house unless better times befall it first.31
Interesting, they breed pedigree pigeons on this homestead.32
One has obviously escaped and is showing off above the dovecote.33
A special tree called the great Judas tree. Blooms only during Easter.34
Again something comfortable for walking. Today I'm really being spoiled :)35
One of the lowland streamlets.36
Crayfish quartet presents itself.37
This time the cycle path is luckily not asphalted.38
Final destination, Ptuj.39
I park in the shelter of Proštije church of St. George.40
In some sort of refurbished church spaces I get nice accommodation :)41
That day GPS shows 38 km and 700 elevation meters.42
(+7)like
bagi21. 04. 2025 18:54:02
Day 4

Day marked by earlier start, long stage ahead again. Beautiful view of awakening Ptuj spoiled only by barely 1°C outside. Quickly put on extra layers like an onion and headed towards Ptuj Mountain. Arrived just early enough to avoid the crowd. Local firefighters already setting barriers for the approaching crowd, I quietly viewed this nice part of Slovenia nasmeh.

Then finally entered more known and partly walked area. That was at Studenice, above which rises Boč. Later remembered some already hiked path sections, much discovered completely new. On descent from Ljubična Mountain had to turn to Zbelovo and Loče, as only sensible accommodation there. They really aren't plentiful, so planning important for multi-day hike. More in photo-story …
I set out on the path early. Today a lot of kilometers and ascents await me1
Morning Ptuj. Everything is still asleep, no one anywhere2
I must go to the bridge. It is lit up like an amusement park3
It is intended only for pedestrians and cyclists, in emergency it is wide enough also for an emergency vehicle4
View back on the morning that is dawning5
Still a view of Ptuj Castle6
Brr, now that's cold reality :)7
Heading to Hajdina waving it off….8
This one takes the shortcut. How cold he must be :)9
St. Martin in Hajdina. Žiga is not here, so I go on.10
Hajdina Viaduct. I don't need to go up, I just go under it :)11
My next goal is Ptujska gora.12
On the way, I also visit Apače and Lovrenc.13
These are mostly rural villages. Some farms along the path are very old.14
Towards Gora, nothing but asphalt guides me :)15
But the view is beautiful. It was worth it.16
The weirdest satellite I've ever seen :)17
But in the background there is a sad, well-known story.18
Minority monastery on Ptujska Gora with the basilica of Mary the Patroness.19
The plaza in front of the church…20
And its interior.21
I go on…22
Even today the path lives, is open and offers beautiful views.23
All you do on such a path is walk, observe the world around you and meditate quietly.24
Makole. The shop is already closed, the bar failed long ago. No break today.25
On the right, Dravinja joins me. On its banks, the flood damage is still prominently visible.26
Finally something familiar :). Boč appears in the distance.27
There are also several old farms here.28
The curious goats have absolutely no idea what I'm doing here :)29
Kilometers fly by, time too…30
Zgornje Poljčane. Here I leave the plain and head into the hills.31
View back. The road climbs steeply and soon my knees hurt.32
Behind the last houses, asphalt gives way to a broad gravel road.33
The reason is the huge quarry below the hill Strmec. Access to it is prohibited.34
From the forest, I reach a familiar point.35
Church of St. Mary below Ljubična gora. We were here last year too.36
I continue along the Loško-Zbelovska path, which means a steep descent on the opposite side of the hill.37
The day is departing, so I turn towards Zbelovo and Mlače towards the accommodation.38
Obviously I'm not the only one walking :) A bit more and I end at the accommodation Kračun pri Ločah.39
It was a long day. 46 km and 900 m of elevation gain accumulated.40
(+6)like
bagi22. 04. 2025 17:16:24
Day 5

From valley accommodation first climbed back to St. James Path. It starts along Loško-Zbelovska path, marked by more or less ridge crossing between many solitary hamlets. Weather contributed, not sticking to forecast. To big surprise even snowed, but that with clouds and occasional bands of sun rays created special atmosphere nasmeh.

Later St. James Path joins Drameljska, then turns its own way to Vojnik. Village has sleeping options, but for me too early, continued to Šentjungert. There mountain hut supposed to have accommodations, but no. Probably could beg unheated room without bed, but low night temps deterred me quickly. Call home fixed all, morning family transport back to start point nasmeh. More in photo-story …
New morning, new day, this time more cloudy. From Loč I climb back onto Jakob's path.1
Nothing but asphalt is to be expected here, since these are settled areas.2
The weather is quite special. For a while light snow falls, then the sun shines …3
All of it together creates an incredible atmosphere.4
Sun rays move from hill to hill, but nowhere for long.5
View into the valley to the štajerko.6
In these areas there are handfuls of small hamlets, a few houses, nothing more.7
Every hillock has one …8
Today the path is demanding, but there are plenty of views as a reward.9
Jakob's path is well enough marked that I don't need technical help here.10
The weather still can't make up its mind what it should be like :)11
This is already familiar to me.12
Špitalič and the characteristic church with tower on the roof. Here I turn left.13
Žička Charterhouse. Since I arrived before 10 a.m., everything is still closed.14
Again I climb vigorously up to the weekend cottage with a beautiful view.15
Here the slopes are somewhat more densely populated.16
The next goal is Sv. Tomaž.17
But a long path still leads there.18
Hmm, best to stick to the red markers. There's only one :)19
Hut on Tomaž. Here I take my first break. The caretakers are great, you can also sleep here.20
Views from Sv. Tomaž.21
Next, I have to descend to Vojnik.22
I won't go directly through the center, the path leads more along the right edge.23
Because of the closed street, I have sweet peace :)24
I still have to cross the Dravinja, then in the direction of Šenjugert.25
View back on all the churches.26
The continuation is quite long and I walk past smaller hamlets again.27
Rigelj, one of the few peaks that the Jakobova pot crosses directly.28
Today the path has a completely different character from the previous days.29
Deliberately placed and tied obstacle for uncouth MTB riders.30
Another peak named Gora and the church of Sv. Konigunde.31
Here I take a break and simultaneously learn that, despite other data, one cannot sleep here.32
Nothing remains for me but to continue. Meanwhile, I call the home accommodation :)33
I descend to the valley following the markers.34
Sv. Jakob in Galicija. Žiga is not here.35
The day is departing, while I wait for transport.36
Today the GPS measured 39 km and 1600 m of elevation gain.37
(+4)like
mirank22. 04. 2025 19:59:33
Sl 14, nice to see new roof on church, when we were there last time it wasn't there yet...
like
bagi23. 04. 2025 11:34:53
Day 6

Morning return to start and traffic peak dictated fewer km for day. Path difficulty not particularly high either, so no worry. Best overnight spot end of day Vransko, from few providers called camp Podgrad. Hard to choose better nasmeh. Clean, tidy, friendly owner and practically all spaces to myself.

Path itself led through many villages and hop-growing areas. Not much elevation, but on one surprised by Žolnek castle. Definitely worth visit, just don't joke with ticket collector velik nasmeh. More in photo-story …
The point where I finished the previous day. After the morning ride from home, I continue from here on.1
Quarry near Velika Pirešnica2
Not the most beautiful, but it serves its purpose well3
The initial part of today's path is quite nice, with a good surface for walking4
Here some problems with markings arise, so GPS comes to the rescue again5
Hunting educational trail6
The hamlets in these areas are larger than the previous day, they are already whole villages7
The fields are cultivated and just waiting for rain8
Due to numerous villages I tread asphalt again, but often one can walk along the edge9
Follows Polzela, where I can finally stop at a refreshment place and air out my shoes10
Due to the risk of frost, numerous flowering trees are wrapped in covers11
Savinja12
A pleasant walking path runs along the stream bed13
Hmm, at least go around the corner :)14
Hard to believe. They sell *Slovenian container house*15
Unmistakable, I'm walking through the land of hops16
Braslovče17
Nicely maintained remnant of the past18
Here the washing machine brand wasn't important :)19
I continue. I saw a huge number of such large, unfortunately abandoned farms along the entire path20
I haven't been here yet21
Soon the ruins of the once mighty castle appear22
Nicely arranged entrance point23
Info panel and data that the castle dates back to the distant year 113924
Toll collector :)25
These ruins surprise me. They are mighty and the work of diligent restorers' hands is noticeable at every step26
Although I didn't intend to, I take a look at everything27
Palace, residential part with a beautiful view of Žovenško jezero28
After about half an hour of viewing I continue29
My goal is Vransko, the path leads me through beautiful places30
Here the hop fields are already cultivated, strings stretched31
Vransko. In the shop I buy everything for dinner and breakfast, as I will sleep in a very special accommodation tonight32
Camp Podgrad, incredibly well-kept and clean. First class33
This one is mine. A real little house :)34
Also the interior. I wasn't cold, as everything is wooden, and there is IR heating on the ceiling35
This time GPS shows 37 km and 600 elevation meters36
(+6)like
seinfeld23. 04. 2025 11:51:11
Bravo, admirable, pity only about the transport home.
Obstacle on picture 30 from 22 April probably not against cyclists, but against crossers and quads that have spread in our forests lately.
(+4)like
miri23. 04. 2025 11:54:04
Emil, hats off.
(+4)like
saram23. 04. 2025 19:10:32
Bravo, nicely written and documented. I miss Mateja on your paths. I won't ask if you miss her too. I wish her a speedy recovery so she can join you on your paths again.
(+4)like
bagi24. 04. 2025 06:09:53
Thanks everyone nasmeh. Mateja has been intensively working since the operation to join me. Almost half a year of rehab behind her and in effort I don't reach her knees velik nasmeh.
(+4)like
mosovnik24. 04. 2025 11:02:14
With all the respect I can muster, I congratulate you on your described feat (and of course all previous ones). To your partner I wish a speedy recovery so you can collect kilometers together on your paths again.
(+1)like
bagi24. 04. 2025 12:37:51
Day 7

The seventh day was challenging in many ways. It was the hilliest with lots of kilometers, altitudes didn't lag either. Especially constant ups and downs, the sun did its part during the day. The surface was the least asphalt of all days, though not completely without it. Lots of gravel, some forest paths, some *freshly scented* meadows, above all complete solitude. Didn't meet almost anyone, even at houses everything was deserted. Slept in Kamnik *Pri cesarju*, where contrary to general opinion I got a very affordable room. What I liked most were the soundproof windows that saved me from road noise at night nasmeh. More in the photo story …
I leave the camp early. Today I expect a strenuous day1
Behind these houses it only goes uphill. I must cross the hills all the way to Kamnik2
I don't know exactly what this will be, but it's still somehow under construction.3
It's steep, but at least I'm walking on macadam.4
View of the surroundings. I am also located in the extensive hill country.5
Here and there I come across a farm, I have no idea what they live on.6
The buildings are mostly older ones, no new machinery to be seen.7
Another of the hillside farms. The house dog is already greeting me loudly from afar.8
No, it's not a drone shot :)9
This is another view of the same church of Sv. Miklavž, these few houses belong to Belo.10
Jakobova pot crosses to that farm, then it goes steeply, steeply up the hill.11
Higher up it levels out and crosses the slopes via various tracks.12
The brownish color on the meadows means nothing good. A large dose of perfume awaits me *A la slurry*.13
Across the meadows I tiptoe and soon reach better air :)14
Later I reach a very special monument from the Second World War.15
This event also has the path *Vranov let* dedicated to it, marked with a crow symbol on a yellow background.16
Maybe another time, now my only goal is Jakobova pot.17
The scallop shell is merciless. Have to go uphill again.18
Fortification around the church. It dates to the times of Turkish raids.19
St. Nicholas. The bell tower stands separately.20
View of the hilly surroundings.21
Snovik22
There are several maintained paths here. The little dwarf Snoviček can keep you company too :)23
From the valley to the hill, from the hill to the valley and then to the hill again. This is the mantra of the day...24
Somewhere in the distance the final goal, Kamnik, is hiding.25
But to there is still a long way. Fortunately water for refreshment is available every now and then.26
Confluence of Kamniška Bistrica and Nevljica. I'm almost at the photo finish :)27
Old town core of Kamnik28
A little more and today's day will be concluded. At Cesar I get a cheap room.29
Behind me is a strenuous day. 41 km and 1700 m of elevation gain accumulated.30
(+5)like
MatejaP24. 04. 2025 14:33:22
Thanks everyone for the kind wishes nasmeh

I too can't wait to be back in good old form, with looots of stubbornness, will and joy for new adventures; things are turning better for me too and knees aren't resisting so much anymore.

It lasted longer than I'd want.
Good thing is you don't know in advance what's coming eek

Another month and Emil's pics will be a bit more lively again mežikanje
(+6)like
bagi25. 04. 2025 09:40:11
Day 8

The last, eighth day of walking from Hungary to Ljubljana has come. What seemed like a huge distance at the beginning passed in a blink nasmeh. At first you need a day or two for body and mind to adjust to daily walking, then no special problems. Hiking gear must of course suit the purpose, especially shoes and socks are most important.

This day went through known areas, from Kamnik to Komenda, past Vodice to Smlednik and over Tacen Bridge to Ljubljana center. And this bridge is the alternative bypass of the original St. James path direction, which goes over the former footbridge at Šmarca. Former because it was washed away in floods and Sava can't be crossed there. Before a new one is built, a lot of time will pass, so I had to extend to Tacen Bridge at Brod. Continuation is urban with lots of flat walking and everyday noise. More about the last day in the photo story …
Kamnik in the morning. Traffic is still rare, the air is just right.1
The first and only shell embedded in the ground that I saw on the entire path.2
I leave the town past the cemetery.3
Soon I am in the scattered Tunjice.4
I visit the church of St. Anne and continue along the Jakobova path.5
It overlaps with the Komenda mountain trail for a long time.6
Road repaired after past weather disasters. Numerous landslides are visible in the surroundings.7
Agricultural fair in Komenda.8
Church of St. Peter. In this part of Komenda I have to follow the yellow markers more carefully.9
Soon I am out of settlements again. A long path to Vodic awaits me.10
View towards the snow-covered peaks.11
Oh, there are two hikers in front of me, one even with a large backpack.12
Huge surprise :) Woo and Anett are from Singapore and have been walking the Jakobova path all day.13
Church of St. James. Here you get a special stamp.14
Smlednik and a nice plaque in memory of the peasant uprising long ago.15
Heading to the pilgrimage to the nearby church :)16
Another view of Smlednik and the mountains in the background. I walk right along the Sava.17
Šmarna gora comes into view.18
Oops, it won't go here. The water carried away the footbridge a few years ago, over which I should now cross the Sava. Detour again.19
I cross the river a few kilometers away via Tacen Bridge.20
St. Vitus in Šentvid, the common point of the Prekmurje-Styrian and Višarje branches of the Way of St. James.21
I decide already before to continue to the city center. Soon I cross the Ljubljana ring road.22
Nebotičnik, one of the most famous buildings in the city.23
Trees in Tivoli are turning green, full of visitors.24
City center with Tromostovje.25
Ljubljanica and the market.26
I climb the last hill in eight days :)27
On the other side I descend into the old part of Ljubljana.28
Great finale and path conclusion. St. James Church at Levstik Square, where I get the last stamp.29
Final GPS with extension to Ljubljana center. It showed 39 km and 500 m elevation gain.30
(+8)like
Page:1234
You must log in to post a comment:
Username:
Password:
Login
If you do not yet have a username, you must first register.
         
Copyright © 2026 Hike.uno, Terms of use, Privacy and cookies