Hike.uno
Hike.uno
Login
Login
Username:
Password:
Login
Not registered yet? Registration.
Forgot password?
      

Self-belay kit

Print
geppo5. 07. 2011 07:01:35
If you'll climb ferratas get something like this
http://www.iglusport.si/komplet-samovarovalni-easy-rider-via-ferrata-set
if for protected paths, then you can buy kit with brake plate.
And don't think about falls and torn stitches from the start...mrk pogled
When you get the kit, better ask about proper clipping. Many lack that....Kits clip differently (depends on carabiners). And with brake plate need to leave some extra slack (and bunch of other important things) which some ignore...
like
neph5. 07. 2011 09:58:29
@Žiga22

You probably don't want to experience a fall over 6m on ferrata(!!), since you'll be lucky to get back to solid ground without help. If on ferratas you think so easily about falls I suggest rethink your activity. On ferratas you shouldn't fall, self-belay kit is for extreme cases when it happens despite care and all circumstances. In case of fall the "landing" is anything but gentle.

Recommend reading articles someone added a few posts back...
(+1)like
JusAvgustin5. 07. 2011 17:51:26
generally dear Žiga it's not smart to fall in the mountains...nasmeh
(+1)like
Žiga225. 07. 2011 23:04:36
Yeah yeah yeah... Damn you're smart zavijanje z očmi. This reminds me just like with soccer; everyone who knows offside thinks he's a soccer expert. velik nasmeh

Of course it doesn't occur to me to go headfirst down via ferratas (and please don't take words out of context), but the self-belay kit is meant to protect you from falling, right? And I'm just wondering which kit is the "safest".

If you're not buying gear thinking it will protect you in the worst cases - why buy it then? To look good?

Anyway; so far in the mountains I've always (especially when preparing for a trip) gone for the worst case scenario - meaning even if good weather is forecast all day I'm at the hut by 1pm, if there's even a small chance of snow I take the ice axe,... So for the self-belay kit too, I'm interested in which one will protect me best from falling.

Anyway thanks for the advice mežikanje. After talking to the seller at Annapurna I bought the kit with the sewn sling (similar to what geppo suggested, just from Edelweiss company) nasmeh.
like
Kozorog5. 07. 2011 23:16:40
As you wrote - you asked so you got the answer mežikanje
But heed JusAugustin's advice...velik nasmeh and good luck... we know nobody goes to fall in the mountains...velik nasmeh but it can happeneek
Safe steps ahead!
like
geppo6. 07. 2011 06:36:38
Žiga22
smart choice of kit.
Now I suggest a good training ground where you can learn to use all this.
http://www.hribi.net/trenutnerazmere.asp?aut=1&gorovjeid=10005&id=2661
Regards
like
Žiga226. 07. 2011 11:26:49
Cool, I'll save this one of yours for later, today after work I'll go test this on Šmarna gora.

Thanks!
like
geppo6. 07. 2011 11:43:39
After you've tried it on Šmarna, then sometime go to KSA and walk up and down the Turkish gully. Then you'll see how it goes? This path is properly protected with cable and there are also some pegs and staples.
The climbing height isn't too high. You won't be scared either, because it's not exposed.
like
mdj18. 07. 2011 16:35:48
Hello, I'd be interested in your opinion on this kit, is it worth the money?

http://www.kibuba.com/index.php?&cID=4&scID=30&pID=2776

regards
like
aonuk118. 07. 2011 17:50:25
I've had it for about a year and it serves its purpose superbly. Climbed Gonžarjeva peč, Lavamund, Železna kapla, Cjajnik – yeah, it's worth every euro.
like
mdj18. 07. 2011 18:05:10
oh super, thanks,... but one more thing interests me, about the harness size, can it be adjusted for different sizes, or is it one size?
like
aonuk118. 07. 2011 19:28:53
Both parts, both the lower and the upper one, can be adjusted as desired. Just for the connection between the two harnesses, you need a carabiner.
like
Janiel7419. 07. 2011 09:10:09
I'm planning to buy a self-belay kit, also harness and helmet of course. Can someone please give some advice? Not planning to go climbing yet.. more in mountains where there are cables etc... looking for quality, but not the most professional and most expensive stuff... thanks for any opinion! nasmeh Regards
like
bkobal20. 07. 2011 15:08:55
I'm wondering where I could buy a belay plate? I've already checked Iglu sport, Kibuba,.. but nowhere do they have it. zmeden
like
Jure S20. 07. 2011 16:18:02
Of course they have them, just that it says only brake and not belay plate. There are several models and manufacturers too.

Best, Jure
like
Santi20. 07. 2011 16:33:01
aonuk1 and mdj, for connecting the upper and lower parts of the harness, an 8 mm accessory cord is used
(+1)like
bkobal20. 07. 2011 17:31:46
Which brake would then be suitable for a homemade self-belay kit?
like
Kekec66624. 08. 2011 18:07:20
Nice greeting. I also have trouble buying a self-belay kit, because I'm not experienced. I looked at that one from Salewa described above; now they have a new deal in that store from PETZL, which includes the Elios helmet, Petzl Scorpio Vertigo, Petzl Pandion harness. The price is the same, 100 eur. What do you recommend? Petzl or Salewa? They also have in Iglu Sport a Camp set on sale, reduced from 124 to 87 eur, which includes the Rock Star helmet, Camp Topaz harness, and Camp Vortex. Please, experienced ones, for advice. Thanks. Nice day ahead.
like
lynx24. 08. 2011 20:58:20
The Petzl combination is a good choice and has a slightly more convenient self-belay kit (less tangling, middle leg). It would be even better if it had different types of connectors, but these two have the same classic ones.
(+1)like
grsa9. 11. 2011 10:56:54
Hello

I'm interested how to make a self-belay kit from a sport climbing harness with cord and two carabiners. What knot to "attach" the cord to the harness and which loop on the harness?

rgds
like
Page:123456...111213
You must log in to post a comment:
Username:
Password:
Login
If you do not yet have a username, you must first register.
         
Copyright © 2026 Hike.uno, Terms of use, Privacy and cookies