Hike.uno
Hike.uno
Login
Login
Username:
Password:
Login
Not registered yet? Registration.
Forgot password?
      

Avalanche equipment

Print
ljubitelj gora23. 11. 2010 13:37:25
You know how some of us are, we can't be bothered to search old threads, my purpose with this thread is for alpinists, hikers to summarize in bullet points what to be aware of in snowy conditions, what to be cautious about.
Don't write long answers, just bullet points.


like
atoamac23. 11. 2010 14:20:27
Plonk for mountain lover:
- Question: what to be cautious about?
- answer in bullet points: only one's own carelessness.
like
aljazek23. 11. 2010 15:06:22
ljubitelj, if you couldn't be bothered to search old threads, how will you manage Norwegian or Swiss method of cutting snow cover to check stability or avalanche danger?

Be cautious on: seracs, crevasses, cliffs, avalanches, crampons catching, inadequate equipment, improper equipment use, shorter days, lower temperatures, cornices, weather conditions (fresh snow, heavy snowfall, fog,...), ice on exposed parts, ice on rocks, harder snow navigation, snow blindness, wet clothes in cold, always ice axe with crampons, gaiters on crampons, after heavy snow wait for settling, hypothermia, frostbite, chilblains, blisters, drinking water can freeze, iodine in winter not recommended, yetis kidnap people,...
Yeti cub, adults are much larger1
like
ljubitelj gora23. 11. 2010 15:53:48
Don't talk to me about equipment, because I know what I would need, I'm more interested in avalanches, snow-covered holes under snow, fresh snow (up to what degree is it still OK, safe to go to mountains). When does snow usually become hard, how many days after snowfall?
like
aljazek23. 11. 2010 16:03:39
You know which one you'd need, but can you use it? Can you self-arrest with ice axe if you slip on a slope? Snow hardening/settling is not simple process that just needs time, depends on temperature, snow depth, slope angle, aspect (different north vs south), solar radiation (slower in cloudy/foggy),...
like
bari23. 11. 2010 16:15:24
haha, aljazek, you're the king! Excellent photomontage! nasmeh
like
JusAvgustin23. 11. 2010 16:18:42
ljubitelj... for you only few words. winter safe movement course in mountains(winter conditions)nasmeh what good is equipment if you have no idea about itjezen. I sign under aljazek's postsmežikanje
like
ljubitelj gora23. 11. 2010 16:22:04
Did I mention anywhere I'd go to 2000m peaks in winter conditions, I aim up to max 1600m, about equipment well it's like that, there's always gnar problem, so for now not thinking about any serious equipment,...
like
ljubitelj gora23. 11. 2010 16:29:00
I expected more serious answers on this forum. I set up a thread, a question that exclusively relates only to hills, but I get some sausages from the answers. If I had posed the question wrong, you would ask me again and I would try to pose the question anew.

like
aljazek23. 11. 2010 16:37:00
A vaguely defined question gets the most generalized answer, of course. For snow there's no universal formula for calculation; it needs feeling and experience. Often you have to turn back mid-ascent when you see that snow conditions have changed and it has become too dangerous to continue. I think my answer is fully satisfactory.
like
Murglovc23. 11. 2010 16:37:49
@ mountain lover

Relatively safe at 1st level, if you know the terrain you're walking on you can do 2nd level too. Anything more is already very dangerous.
like
aljazek23. 11. 2010 16:40:00
http://www.arso.gov.si/vreme/napovedi%20in%20podatki/snegraz.html

Right now it's, say, 3., so you can at home by the fireplace read some book about it.
like
ljubitelj gora23. 11. 2010 16:43:38
Ok thanks
like
tol23. 11. 2010 16:47:57
The problem of this topic is the following:

On the forum "heroes" appear who would immediately start on 2000ers and the others who would and will walk easy paths in winter. And you belong to that second group which is very deathly scared because of the last winter which had a really black toll among hikers.

Even at 1600 meters an avalanche can release, it all depends on the terrain (slope, sun-exposed side,...)

Best in my opinion is that you tell where you plan to go in winter, which goals you have checked, look a bit at forum trip descriptions and additionally ask on forum if your goal is potentially dangerous.

Some Blegoš, Velika planina will be completely suitable destinations for enjoying winter idyll without any special danger.
like
tol23. 11. 2010 16:55:11
Wait don't mess around. You don't bother to search how and what in winter conditions. We should search where you'll wander.

Nicely in bullet points write here, where you'll go. big grin
like
tol23. 11. 2010 16:55:42
Anyway first rule: in winter don't go where you haven't been yet in dry conditions.
like
JusAvgustin23. 11. 2010 17:30:38
if this is sausages for you then it's obvious you have no idea what it's about hereangry. all of us are trying to help with advice on choosing goal, suitable equipment etc. everyone would like to go to mountains in winter, half of them don't realize at all what they're getting into, the other half just has luck. but in winter luck can turn its back very quickly even to the most experienced and "tuned" mountaineer. for start the list (there are more and I don't know exactly which one you mean) is completely ok, I advise you not to go alone. 1. because others can teach you a lot and 2. because it's recommended to go in pairs in winter... why? I think you'll know how to answer this question.
like
JTrogar23. 11. 2010 17:33:29
@mountain lover

You just can't get out of your skin. Today you write:

"I expected more serious answers on this forum, set up a topic, question that relates exclusively to mountains but I get some sausages out of the answers, if I set the question wrong you would ask me again and I would try to set the question again."

Not long ago you yourself write in this style:

"I really recommend you go to mountains at most three. On Sunday I met two groups of hikers there were 10/group. Slow, chatty, no fitness, sorry for the expression one more crap dragged behind, I overtook them in a moment because I have VERY good fitness, even if I go 15 km from the car it's a joke for me. I dashed ahead like a Ferrari they stayed behind like Fičko."

I think we have to be friendly when writing descriptions so we can count on friendliness in return.
Sometimes you are the Ferrari, as you see, today someone else is the Ferrari.

Nice greetings from under the beautiful Golts, Janez.


like
JusAvgustin23. 11. 2010 17:40:21
janez is right. and that ferrari has winter tires...
like
Page:12345
You must log in to post a comment:
Username:
Password:
Login
If you do not yet have a username, you must first register.
         
Copyright © 2026 Hike.uno, Terms of use, Privacy and cookies