Hike.uno
Hike.uno
Login
Login
Username:
Password:
Login
Not registered yet? Registration.
Forgot password?
      

Avalanche equipment

Print
otiv23. 11. 2010 17:49:47
@geolog79!
Spot on, can't be more accurate.
like
03183338523. 11. 2010 18:12:35
A lot of criticism and harsh words and scolding and nonsense - lots of pomposity and ideas how to humiliate a person - I'm writing first and last time in this sense - if you have no idea to write friendly and disagree with something THEN DON'T WRITE AND STOP POLLUTING THE FORUM WITH YOUR STUPIDITIES!!!(applies to all concerned - they'll find themselves)

Winter is dangerous and as said don't go if you haven't been there in dry conditions - and don't go without ice axe and crampons without knowing anything about this and that... You can go to a winter mountain movement course mid-December under Vršič lasting two days - organized by Matica... Good luck!
like
ljubitelj gora23. 11. 2010 18:45:25
@JTrogar

Please, I wrote only one such word, some do it constantly, every day.
You're like children.

And for you children it's not enough ˝sorry for the expression˝ I wrote clearly and you still keep digging up my old replies, for what purpose, so the topic ends up in a fight.

Our purpose is not to argue, but to help each other with advice, some behave childishly, don't respect beginners in this sport, act like you know everything and that me and similar should just hide...we have no right to ask, but if we write some nonsense sometimes you treat us like criminals, typically not, i.e. if we write some illogical thing multiple times you take us for criminals.

Let's end these childish quarrels once and for all. Seriously!!! Of course me too


like
Zalas23. 11. 2010 19:38:31
Well this full moon is the strongest this year on this forum! You've never behaved like this before! Wherever I look only arguing! Most condition reports end in some quarrel! Ljubitelj gora! Let it be clear once and for all!!!!!!!!!!
First rule is:
- visit mountains where you've been in dry conditions!
- in winter take at least crampons or chains! (even lower mountains can be icy and dangerous! Hypothermia just above 1000m and fatalities! [Walking on road>) So you can't get 100% path data on this portal.
-Adapt to your feelings!
- even forum description today is not the same as tomorrow!
-check weather before departure and on the way it will tell you most!
-experienced ones will give you most!
- don't push head through wall! You can always turn back! If stubborn then not for mountains!
-If you're not calculating and can't assess conditions not for mountains!
(what is written with if doesn't concern anyone personally but all who read this post!)
like
Santi23. 11. 2010 20:59:10
Ljubitelj gora, I warmly recommend participation in this course: "Winter mountaineering course for easy and demanding snow tours" (PD Matica). Under professional guidance you'll learn everything you're interested in in two days and one evening.
like
JusAvgustin24. 11. 2010 00:45:46
yeah come on, discover hot waterzavijanje z očmi
like
kaveljc24. 11. 2010 01:10:47
eek can't be true but it is.....eek
like
timgalema24. 11. 2010 11:41:14
my big wish is to go somewhere, but I don't dare alone (have three kids), waiting for uncle to take pity and make time for me. If not, I've already signed up for basic winter hiking course in Kamnik, slowly since I have time, I'll know everything, and experience and years also bring something good...
By what measures to buy ice axe by weight, by length (I mean alpine ice axe)??
Thanks
like
lynx24. 11. 2010 12:07:54
I recommend a longer one, easier to walk with it, otherwise you have to lean sideways.
like
tol24. 11. 2010 12:22:04
I suggest you wait with buying the equipment until the course, there you can borrow everything for the practical tour. You'll also learn what and how to buy.
Generally, the hiking ice axe is bought by the rule that when you hold the ice axe by the head and stretch your arm, the tip must touch the armpit.
like
timgalema24. 11. 2010 13:09:26
thanksnasmeh
like
otiv24. 11. 2010 14:43:30
Hello @timgalema
If you're at the Kamnik hut, drive there to Rak. The road is mostly normally drivable. Park there and head towards Velika Planina. Go a day or two after snowfall, so you'll already have a track. I think there shouldn't be problems if you just hike in the mountains. And you don't need ice axe or crampons. Good lucknasmeh
like
GričarA24. 11. 2010 15:50:34
Maybe someone knows about some winter course in the Savinja area or a course in the Kamnik-Savinja Alps?
like
otiv24. 11. 2010 16:20:00
GričarA!
Turn to the Mountaineering Association Celje. I think their alpinism section organizes such a course.nasmehLP
like
JusAvgustin7. 12. 2010 17:54:38
Better too often than too seldom!

Movement in mountains in winter conditions:
When we head into snowy mountains in winter, we must be prepared for certain facts: low temperatures, shorter day, closed mountain huts, fewer people in the mountains, markers hidden under snow, icy technical protections on paths, more extreme weather conditions, constant presence of two dangers - slip and avalanches.

* the first measure to reduce slip risk is increasing our stability with hiking poles,
* for easier tours up to the forest line we can use hiking boots to which we easily strap 4-point crampons or one of many types of hiking crampons,
* for ascents above the forest line we use boots with stiffer soles and 12-point crampons,
* when we assess that we wouldn't stop safely in case of a possible slip, we stow the hiking poles and take the ice axe in hand,
* learn self-arrest with ice axe and walking with crampons. Before the winter season, practice both on a slope with safe runout,
* be careful of snow clumps (crampon balls) that form on crampons,
* let not the snow conditions at the tour starting point influence whether we take ice axe and crampons, as conditions change with altitude and time,
* monitor data on snow conditions, temperature and wind, and reports on avalanche danger level. Don't go to mountains during and a few days after heavy snowfall and forecasted thaws,
* don't blindly trust the track ahead but assess ourselves if we're moving in safe terrain,
* perform snowpack stability test. At increased danger, abort ascent or continue with safety distance,
* before moving on snow, turn on and test avalanche beacons. Have avalanche probe and shovel in backpack. Don't let use of these tools boost overconfidence,
* so far the most effective avalanche aid is backpack with integrated airbag,
* learn searching with avalanche beacon and proper digging out of buried. When searching with beacon, remove cell phones,
* when moving in mountains on skis, be aware it doesn't affect conditions, so carry all necessary technical gear,
* if we assess we can't control the descent due to snow conditions and our skiing skills, descend on foot,
* when skiing near groomed slopes, don't be misled by false security of slope proximity but be aware we must follow all rules for safer movement in winter conditions.

In addition to the above, follow some more guidelines:

* use quality personal gear that protects from cold and moisture,
* carry enough spare clothing and warm fluids in backpack,
* in fog and strong wind better abort ascent,
* on ridges wind creates wind slabs that can release under our weight, so walk a few meters below ridge on leeward side. On windward side under slab there's almost always a layer of hard snow that releases as slab avalanche under load.

Jani Bele, Commission for Information and Analysis GRZS

source: http://www.pzs.si/index.php?stran=Novice&novica_id=5303
like
ljubitelj gora7. 12. 2010 18:19:12
thanks for the advice
like
lingo7. 12. 2010 18:23:37
another gem from a classic mountaineering ignoramusjezen
like
Fazo7. 12. 2010 18:33:07
...are you one of those who last year on TV news said he has all personal gear because he has gaiters?velik nasmehsecond video
with what you wrote you obviously want to be a hero of the black chronicle. To be honest, I don't care about you, as it would at least teach you (maybezmeden), but I do care about all those who would come to rescue youjezen
One can't believe such ignoramuses exist. Maybe it's best you go on some expedition to Himalaya, since you have super good Gore-Tex gaiters that would surely come in handy there, as there's allegedly lots of snow this year! There's just the call for Makalu 2011 on PZS. Click! Surely you've been 10x in mountains in winter and 10x in Alps, and in Croatia you've also reached some summit, so you meet all conditions! Think about it, such opportunity rarely comes!
Otherwise I'm wondering if that condition you're in hurts you?zmeden
like
JusAvgustin7. 12. 2010 19:06:22
just that there are gaiters and good pants... triplet? why, I don't need avalanche triplet! crampons? yeah I have, but don't know how to walk with them, ice axe? ah why, I'm not climbing... winter boot? yeah, are you crazy, it costs over 200 euros... Norwegian, Swiss method? yeah I've heard something, but it takes too much time or I don't know how to do it...zmeden
the closer we get to real winter (winter conditions already), the more warnings on portal and advice, the less I understand people's awareness of winter dangers. Sad that human life has a price...
like
amyZ7. 12. 2010 19:13:07
I've now got myself some poles, actually I got them for these holidays now and gaiters for snow. Gaiters have nothing to do with safety, just protection from wet pants and consequently legs. Otherwise I have good hiking boots.
I don't have crampons, nor ice axe or similar stuff, that's why I don't go to higher peaks, but stick to lower, more visited ones. For example this weekend I went to Krim. For my preparation and fitness it was more than enough.
Anyway geolog79, ice axe is good also if you slip, so you can catch yourself on it, not just for climbing. It's true all this gear costs. So you don't tempt fate and go, like me for example, to less dangerous and steep areas.
like
Page:12345
You must log in to post a comment:
Username:
Password:
Login
If you do not yet have a username, you must first register.
         
Copyright © 2026 Hike.uno, Terms of use, Privacy and cookies