Hike.uno
Hike.uno
Login
Login
Username:
Password:
Login
Not registered yet? Registration.
Forgot password?
      

Clothing for hiking in the mountains

Print
Kleemen20. 01. 2017 18:08:14
Big discounts at Intersport, almost everything -40% so buying something for autumn/winter over long shirt.. Something between parka and windbreaker, tried both and both ok. What do you recommend more "down jacket" or jacket?

http://www.intersport.si/shop/moski-59589/jakne-59602/pohodne-jakne-59603/moska-pohodna-jakna-mckinley-patos-ii-57dba1a0c38b374c478b4ba4#productDescription

http://www.intersport.si/shop/moski-59589/jakne-59602/smucarske-jakne-59791/moska-smucarska-jakna-mckinley-scotty-mn-57ac46eec38b37de228b5752

Probably take down jacket, as it's quite thin and probably equally warm. Plus that I can tie it around waist or pack in backpack, jacket harder.. How satisfied with McKinley? Thanks for info.
like
Zebdi20. 01. 2017 19:38:11
And did you check Decathlon? I think it's worth it... mežikanje
like
Nogometni fanatik20. 01. 2017 19:42:10
McKinley is personally quite successful for me. Specifically for mountains I have their hiking pants which are spot on. Robust, especially warm wow. Also their parka and softshell, but use them more as casual everyday wear. For mountains a bit too heavy and too warm, or poor breathability.

But last year bought their super windbreaker lined with down. Thin but super warm. When too hot I quickly stuff it into ball and throw in backpack.

Once again, McKinley for my taste perfect brand for everyday wear, for mountaineering maybe a bit less. Personally buy some piece every year, wear to unrecognizable, then still great for various jobs, chopping wood etc.
(+3)like
Kleemen20. 01. 2017 20:19:20
I have shirt from them and couple things ok yeah, don't know about jackets. Feels super by touch, in practice don't know. Mainly worried about breathability, as I sweat quite a bit in mountains, but for that price think it'll be great. Especially if really discounted from 110eur must be ok. Big plus it's thin and light, and since down jacket (polyamide material?) should be ok also for winter, not just autumn/spring. Backpack for longer trips, for short just bag, jacket tie around waist - that's why looking for light and not too thick, as winter jacket can't tie around waist, down easy. nasmeh
like
grega_z_brega21. 01. 2017 09:16:46
I have quite some clothes from this McKinley and no complaints.
If you look closer at RED line, it's a bit more serious.
http://www.mckinley.eu/the-world-of-mckinley/collections/mountain-tec---red
(+1)like
Kleemen21. 01. 2017 10:26:55
Interesting, didn't know. Thanks for info.
like
Nogometni fanatik21. 01. 2017 12:36:22
Here, this last year's windbreaker, or hiking jacket is some Red thing. Excellent stuff.
(+1)like
Kleemen21. 01. 2017 19:57:50
I bought the mentioned down jacket and it's really 90% filled with duck down, so top-notch. You wouldn't think you can get a real down jacket for that money, though it's discounted from 110eur to 69eur. It is the RED line of McKinley, supposed to be the best. By feel and fit excellent, how it will perform in practice in the mountains still needs testing. nasmeh
(+4)like
grega_z_brega21. 01. 2017 20:13:57
Tomorrow you've got a nice day for it. mežikanje
like
Kleemen21. 01. 2017 20:21:47
Tomorrow definitely to the mountains yeah. mežikanje Hope it'll be cold enough at the top to test it. velik nasmeh
like
Kleemen27. 01. 2017 22:58:36
Down jacket is excellent, tested in frost and wind, all super, nicely breathable, fairly warm and very light. For that money more than super. Wondering about washing the down jacket, can it be washed normally in the washing machine at 30% or only hand wash?
(+1)like
janez.novak27. 01. 2017 23:11:17
I have a 30-year-old Mont down jacket. Excellent and light, feels like it's not there. I wash it in the washing machine at 40 degrees (end of season).
(+3)like
grega_z_brega27. 01. 2017 23:19:54
Kleemen, get married then you won't have to worry. jezik
(+3)like
Guest28. 01. 2017 10:07:31
Neeeeee, just the son-in-law no.nasmeh
Type into Google Frane Milčinski - Poldrugi Martin, very fun and instructive story. Ends in the style....

"No", said mother, "you are too clever, let some other try with you, get married!" Poldrugi Martin always gladly obeyed, this time too didn't resist, just asked how to make it so he gets married. "Eh", said mother, go to church, there are plenty of girls, and throw eyes around a bit! Whichever hangs on you, take that one!
Poldrugi Martin walked to the butcher and bought oxen eyes; then went to church and threw them around himself. But hit the saint on the altar, she toppled onto him and firmly stroked his head.
Rushed to mother and showed her the lump: "No way, mom, won't get married, hurts too much!"
And Poldrugi Martin stayed single to this day and some girl can still get him. Courage girls!

And one more proverb written on a rock in Nepal.
"If you give a little love, you can get a little love of your own."
(+7)like
Kleemen28. 01. 2017 19:40:34
velik nasmehvelik nasmehvelik nasmeh
(+4)like
Lisica16. 12. 2017 16:08:15
I bought a down jacket, now I'm wondering what's best over it since the down jacket should be the middle layer. zmeden

It needs to be something for winter in the high mountains, not too expensive... velik nasmeh

Is this too small for over it? Marmot Precip
(+1)like
Lisica16. 12. 2017 19:52:05
Thanks Turbo. I plan to go to the store with the down jacket... but I'm also interested in what others use, especially in wet and very windy conditions, to wear over it.
(+1)like
SamoK16. 12. 2017 20:00:08
Three-layer windbreaker suffices for all conditions outside the Himalayas or polar regions.
like
yyyeb7. 02. 2022 20:46:07
Just to revive the topic a bit. I see many people in winter hiking in thick down jackets in the hills. I'd sweat too much. Myself in winter always start with functional short sleeve, functional long sleeve and thin functional windbreaker over. So I feel a bit cold at the start. After about 15min walking I'm already hot and the windbreaker comes off. In the backpack I have lots of spare shirts and warm fleece, but I never walk in it. I prefer the rule, better more thin layers than one thick. I'd burn up if I walked in a down jacket. How about you?
(+3)like
michael6626. 05. 2022 18:10:49
Does anyone have experience with ICEPEAK clothing and footwear? Quality, durability...zmeden
like
Page:123...13141516
You must log in to post a comment:
Username:
Password:
Login
If you do not yet have a username, you must first register.
         
Copyright © 2026 Hike.uno, Terms of use, Privacy and cookies