Clothing for hiking in the mountains
|
| bridnk14. 01. 2010 21:24:29 |
In the past hill climbers had pumparice, shirts, red knee socks, green hat on head and red cheeks, today the peaks are full of gore-tex snobs  
|
|
|
|
| viharnik14. 01. 2010 21:47:27 |
As I remember the first beginnings of hikes to the mountains, pumparice, wool, some Yasa or Toper regular jacket prevailed on people, mountaineering hat in the backpack but homemade sausage, bread, apple and often a shot of schnapps. Sure, modern clothes are lighter, stretchy, breathe better, protect from rain, insulating, but years ago, as Turbo, Igor described, we all survived winter and summer anyway. I myself hiked for quite a while in winter just in regular fleece pants and not gore-tex jacket. When it was windy it was a bit cold, during hiking it wasn't felt much, so there are no huge differences, mainly novelties in stores are unreasonably expensive and they keep inventing, not for drastic improvements, but often for fashion fad, which naive consumers follow. Also Otzi, the famous iceman crossed 3000m high Austrian passes 4500 years ago without problem dressed only in skins and with a stick in hand.
|
|
|
|
| Santi15. 01. 2010 11:14:42 |
Bridnk, pumparice with red knee socks only alpinists could wear... , that was a sign who you are (half joking half serious according to Mihelič), otherwise one must realize that clothes only insulate us, we warm ourselves with work, i.e. hiking and other mountaineering activities
|
|
|
|
| zippo15. 01. 2010 12:35:31 |
hehe viharnik - and stayed up there. Even before him survived in skins, but not all. Selection left only the most resistant, today anyone can hide under top materials and survive. When he gets numb fingers, dials the phone and helicopter comes for him. If he had a helmet on his head he even has a chance that his picture next day in newspaper as example to others
|
|
|
|
| joža x15. 01. 2010 17:48:27 |
Bravo zippo, today it's easy for some, they buy shoes that stick to the rock, buy shirts that breathe for them, buy jackets that keep them at temperature etc. and what do they do? With all these trade inventions they have remained only consumers who just have to go to the mountain to show it all.
|
|
|
|
| JusAvgustin16. 01. 2010 08:13:58 |
you and your philosophizing... the topic is about equipment not history of materials. 
|
|
|
|
| spetovar20. 01. 2010 12:40:10 |
Yes true, in the past it was more "tough" alpinist life. But not because they wanted, but because there was no other. But that doesn't mean that today's flood of technical equipment (and also fakes) is anything bad. Thank God it is! The more the better! So you have choice. You can still get pumparice and flannel shirts. But you don't see anyone (not even advocates of "how strong grandpas were before, now all softies") wearing that anymore. Development goes forward and it's right, because for a serious feat no clothing will help no matter how expensive, if you don't have enthusiasm and love for mountains. And of course hard work. Before alpinists tied around the waist. Today also possible with best technical rope, but do they? If Mihelič had chance at his feats to wear WindStopper or belay with reverso, he wouldn't think a second, but take everything that would make ascent easier. Back then they didn't even think it's possible to climb 9a...
|
|
|
|
| alfaromeo15527. 01. 2010 22:02:13 |
many answers but I still didn't get the point what to wear so you're not all wet when you sweat in windbreaker or windstoppers that it's all dewy and wet from inside interests me what you have and how you avoid such phenomenon lp
|
|
|
|
| IgorZlodej27. 01. 2010 22:15:10 |
Whatever I wear on me, be it from Rašica or Mammut or whoever, stays dry if I stand still, but if I walk and that's quite often, then everything is more or less wet and there the living god won't help me-you, because such clothes simply don't exist.
| (+1) |  | |
|
|
|
|
| capraibex27. 01. 2010 23:28:20 |
As Igor says holds true, you can have anything on your ass, if you push a bit into the hill even in this cold, you have to sweat through. No brand no matter how good helps. I have combined all possible brands and clothing combinations, but after various ascents in our hills I'm always wringing wet. Well, with this article I use the opportunity and greet Zlodej's Igor. Everything he posts is useful or beneficial for hiking in mountains, Igor Zlodej has done more for Slovenian hikers with his posts than all bureaucrats at PZS.
|
|
|
|
| levak28. 01. 2010 07:34:30 |
My gear this winter is usually like this: - Kraft shirt (not x-warm, regular warm) - Kraft pants - Ski pants (usually too hot, but don't have thinner) - Goretex hardshell jacket (really thin, just goretex no insulation) For up it's usually enough, for down while skiing it also gets hot and suffices. Still always have fleece, hat, gloves in backpack. I also sweat quite a bit going up and kraft and jacket get wet, but when I stop it dries in 5-10 mins.
|
|
|
|
| -Jerry-28. 01. 2010 08:41:00 |
1.layer: sweat shirt 2.layer: thin fleece or cotton puli 3.layer: jacket that doesn't soak and doesn't let wind through Let me add we were on a night tour in those coldest December days (even to -18 or even -20), no problem at all. Just like you said before... body warms itself not clothes!
|
|
|
|
| tol28. 01. 2010 09:02:26 |
First: sweat doesn't dry in 5 mins, it freezes on you  Then: clothes don't warm, but some retain heat, others wick it away. And while hiking, wicking ones are good, but when you stop (longer rest, issues,...) you start freezing veeeeery veeeeery cold. On the other side heat retaining clothes are good when stopped and cook you when hiking and you're all wet. So: good to have something woolen in backpack (pulli, gloves, socks,..) when hiking something breathable and not too hot. And need to consider people are different: some sweat like crazy, others almost not. For myself I know I sweat even if fast hiking at -10 wearing only short shirt, while someone doesn't drop a drop of sweat wearing a parka...
|
|
|
|
| JusAvgustin28. 01. 2010 19:02:11 |
I have this practice in winter: I wear a long-sleeved base layer shirt made of thin wool, long cotton underwear, softshell pants over that, for the upper body a softshell jacket with integrated hood. The jacket is in the backpack, I put it on only when resting. Over hiking socks, woolen ones, I also carry triple gloves (better more than less...) protectors, woolen and velour ones. Regarding the jacket, I bought a Rag from Trangoworld on sale and I'm very satisfied with it 
|
|
|
|
| alfaromeo15529. 01. 2010 11:50:30 |
@alfaromeo155 if you mean a windbreaker like we used to have - painted plastic, then it's logical you'll sweat full As those before me said, it's normal and even healthy to sweat. If you don't want to, dress less and have a slower pace. I meant a windproof jacket from McKinley which has removable fleece underneath, orange color; even the fleece itself if you wear it gets all white from sweat, the jacket like weight loss clothes completely wet
|
|
|
|
| BT8829. 01. 2010 13:54:51 |
Well if I can say sweat is eternal problem how what and how much to wear is another story. I couldn't solve problem at all until HORE sweat shirts try this it's great for me for hills, bike etc... and prices good!
|
|
|
|
| Fusion30. 01. 2010 13:45:53 |
@alfaromeo155 two possibilities: - whole jacket bad materials no breath (mc kinley not top gear) or - overdress and sweat consequently. Unwritten rule dress like onion, layers. Then strip or add per conditions. I once went with someone to hills dressed like -15, after 15min sweat down back couldn't strip cos would freeze and catch cold. Then suffered to top. Others stripped added arrived almost dry. Dress thinner layers, when warm remove layer, if cold add. Or bad luck you just sweat full. Me bothered when lightly dressed every breeze through, so now always thin windstopper and won't go without.
|
|
|
|
| spetovar1. 02. 2010 09:29:25 |
Yes, I do it so that before you go on a tour, you dress so that you're slightly cold. It suits me better, as when you warm up it's just right. Of course, cold not because of wind blowing through but because of the thickness of clothes. The other thing is pace. If you go like chamois (if not used to it), because you're in such company, you'll sweat anyway. There problems can start. Dressing, undressing in minus and wind is not the best option. Better to slow pace to one body is used to. Up to -10 no problem. When below -20 big problem. Especially with wind. When 32km/h at 0 feels -18. Nice if from start don't sweat too much.
|
|
|
|
| galkoker20. 03. 2010 14:00:08 |
I bought La Sportiva Karakorum Pro GTX, took them home before the trip, had a quick look and saw that the lace eyelets are arranged sideways a bit here and there, in the leather above the rubber there was a small hole, the back heel part was straight made on one boot, sideways on the other. For the trip I had to take old Alpina, after return complained in Igluja. There they made a report and after a week the new pair came, to my surprise even more messed up, on both boots on the leather heel part big hole and marks from some cogs. When I showed this to the saleswoman she immediately refunded the money and to my later question if this is a defect she answered that the importer says this is no defect. Then I took the display boot from the shelf and immediately saw new mess, namely the rubber that is on the leather had a big bulge like some blister. I showed this too and got the answer that I'm the only one who complained about La Sportiva. Out of three pairs all had defect! Now I'm wondering if La Sportiva is a crappy firm or if defective stuff is sold here or Slovenian buyer buys everything just to boast that he has wow La Sportiva?
|
|
|
You must log in to post a comment:
If you do not yet have a username, you must first
register.