Clothing for hiking in the mountains
|
| DarjaZaplotnik18. 10. 2011 22:10:17 |
@Pika thx for the tip, but Craft can't be washed above 40 degrees. Well, a bit of deodorant in the morning spray and it's fixed, hehe.  best regards d
|
|
|
|
| Sano18. 10. 2011 23:37:12 |
|
|
|
|
| jax19. 10. 2011 00:26:10 |
Heh, I haven't been winter hiking anywhere for a while, but I have to admit I'm still in the cotton t-shirt club. And somehow I don't see a significant connection between clothing and safety. That's different for technical gear, which I also buy decently. But clothing - whatever suits you. Someone mentioned three layers suitable for uphill walking at temps down to -6. Well, at such temps I usually walked in just a cotton t-shirt (and maybe even took it off because it was too hot). Wind though - well, if it's too strong, you'll hurry back to the car anyway ;-) But I can tell a little story why maybe it's not best to wear too fancy schmancy clothes (summer though, but still). It was on Korenova on Krn. Wet grass, everything very slippery, dragged myself up a bit. Anyway, I reach the fixed rope, grab it - and suddenly find myself with my hands a meter lower. So, because my hands were wet from the wetness, it slipped even on the rope grip. And clearly, the only thing left in that situation was to wipe on the t-shirt every time I reached the rope. Got to the top safely and happily, but looked almost like a miner Well, clearly it's much easier to do something like that with just a cotton t-shirt, which you can easily throw in the machine at 95 at home (and if that doesn't help, without regret even in the bin), than some fancy schmancy whatever degrees Kraft. Oh, the story is completely true 
|
|
|
|
| pika19. 10. 2011 07:33:58 |
Darja, I only wear Craft t-shirts, so they withstand more than it says. On some it even says they can be washed at 90 - tested, they even survived .
|
|
|
|
| TanjaM19. 10. 2011 08:55:53 |
Well yeah in summer I also hike in short sleeves, the thing is that at the top or during breaks it's cold, even though I change into dry, because I obviously have too few (functional) clothes. If I have to buy something, let it be at least somewhat good, given that I'm not a very demanding user so I think it's pointless to buy some super technical stuff. Well, the first option was recommended to me in Kibuba, the second in Iglu. . viharnik, why are thick fleece and thick softshell incompatible? Somehow I think I need medium softshell (now, don't know if it's worth getting windstopper), thin down jacket, thin to medium fleece and also base layer, or am I wrong? and can use for my needs even in winter.
|
|
|
|
| alpin19. 10. 2011 09:24:27 |
I also use Craft base layer and first layer. I think it's very high-quality and worth its money. I wash them daily, really on the Jogging program, and add a little (very little) softener, although I shouldn't, but the quality is the same after 1 year. I recommend it.!!
|
|
|
|
| ljubitelj gora19. 10. 2011 09:56:59 |
My comment: Clothes, regular tracksuit or regular shorts, those swimming ones so they dry faster, regular t-shirt, regular long-sleeve shirt, socks with seam (I wear doubles), thin windbreaker just in case, I hike in mountains when nice and not on day thunderstorms forecasted, right before evening I check maps precisely. Winter situation different, normally useless summer clothes need to buy good quality winter clothes, but I also went in summer clothes with some more warm added layers, gaiters indispensable, likewise pants or at least protection. Adding also, I use some better Tibet boots, performed exceptionally well, recommend to all, for 3x reached peaks over 2000m (among them two ferratas on Mangart and one Vevnica-Ponce), even with them I ran whole path from Triglav all to Krma, not one slip.... max surprised me. Price in Alpina retail there 150 euros, discounted get for about 100 euros. No blisters, cuz leather. Change boots when they "slip", though still good, look like new, better new every 2 years than X falls and possibility some break.
|
|
|
|
| DarjaZaplotnik19. 10. 2011 10:13:36 |
Hehe, @ljubitelj gora, I always smile at your comments about clothes. Not in negative sense. More cuz they take me back to years when no technical clothes of today existed. Kids we didn't even have money for anything better than tracksuits, knitted sweaters and cotton shirts. Well, maybe managed to snag some fleece from expedition guys. And remember then, 1993 current AO Kranj leader managed from Norway to "smuggle" first Crafte to Slovenia, and from Camp factory secretly got first ice tools with curved handles. Ugh, those were times... times of cotton and Adidas "iberhoz" and windbreakers. best d
|
|
|
|
| IgorZlodej19. 10. 2011 12:50:49 |
@DarjaZaplotnik, Ugh, those were times...times of cotton and Adidas "iberhoz" and windbreakers. And velvet pumparice and yellow or red wool knee socks . Well also mammut, bergahaus, gore, trango world, milet, mellos etc. not bad . @MajaO, "dog walking" and some winter ascent over 2500 somehow don't go together
|
|
|
|
| IgorZlodej19. 10. 2011 15:34:55 |
Good idea, which has been brewing in my head for some time, to once go to some more crowded mountain in these old rags, I just don't know if anything still fits me, years and all the drunk beers have done their thing .
|
|
|
|
| viharnik19. 10. 2011 16:18:34 |
Like this we sometimes went to the mountains. Thick knitted wool sweater, pumparice no more at home, over tracksuit (novelty in Nama) Nike wind pants from polyamide, which surprisingly according to the manufacturer's warranty even breathed, ski pants this time Elkroj or Yasa, Toper. On the head real mountain hat, where badges had to shine necessarily, because that was the distinctive sign of how much the mountaineer really counted then. 
|
|
|
|
| viharnik19. 10. 2011 16:54:44 |
Oh man, where are those ads and that Šiftar with ice, I laughed so much that my belly almost burst when he said with his eyes about the Šiftars and that they even live with us in common Yugoslavia.  
|
|
|
|
| GregorC19. 10. 2011 17:19:56 |
Really cool gear . I too still had such a knitted sweater and mountain hat (I called it Kekec's ), which really served more for badges. At the end the hat was no longer visible because there were so many. And of course knitted wool socks (preferably red) .
|
|
|
|
| JusAvgustin19. 10. 2011 19:28:26 |
hehe, how you've all written in the topic... the best. Igor, if enough beers have been drunk then it's no longer cold, right?
|
|
|
|
| IgorZlodej19. 10. 2011 19:53:27 |
No, beer wasn't meant for the tour, but in a completely different context .
|
|
|
|
| JusAvgustin19. 10. 2011 20:03:13 |
regarding vintage gear: where do you have that old rucksack, green in color, with leather straps that "bit" into the shoulder, inside a watch wrapped in a teapot (to keep it cold), obligatory sausage, end of bread, and little cake for "tamauga". Tamau had up there checkered shirt and gray shorts from idk-what skin-eating material, and hat with feather, usually from hen, since eagle despite promises never seen , and brown leather gojzars with red laces (obligatory alpina), woolen gaiters and gloves from boiled wool, cap of course "bit" into the head! Iberhose were only in grandpa's domain, back then "tamau" was on the hook. In winter I didn't have the opportunity to experience high mountains like "tamau"
|
|
|
|
| viharnik19. 10. 2011 20:35:34 |
Yes Jus, back then Porenta was top of rucksacks, which were made in Škofja Loka. No alpin shops then, only Slovenijašport which had from Austrians-Stubai... Bought it at New Year stall on Čopova right away, since no other was available in Slovenia then. I remember it wasn't cheap even then and I begged at home for extra money .
1
2
|
|
|
|
| viharnik19. 10. 2011 21:05:56 |
The only one was that color and it stood out for its conspicuousness, so I spotted it right away. 
|
|
|
|
| pika19. 10. 2011 21:52:47 |
This is becoming a more and more nostalgic debate about the times when we were a decade, two, three... younger . We'll have to open a new thread .
|
|
|
You must log in to post a comment:
If you do not yet have a username, you must first
register.