Clothing for hiking in the mountains
|
| tol20. 03. 2010 14:24:55 |
I also complained about a La Sportiva boot. Refunded the money without complications. They also told me that I'm the first so far who complained about the boot (model Trango EVO). Defects exist and always will. The problem is only if you run into a seller who wouldn't want to enforce the warranty. If the defect is just "cosmetic" and doesn't hinder the boot's functionality and if you're not picky you can negotiate for an additional discount due to the defect.
|
|
|
|
| abece3. 07. 2010 12:13:38 |
Hi! Do you maybe know when the discounts will start in specialized stores, say IgluSport or Kibuba? Thanks a lot for the info and lots of mountain pleasures to everyone!
|
|
|
|
| ljubitelj gora2. 01. 2011 23:38:16 |
Kibuba apparently has no sales at all, because prices are already so favorable, anyway you get some vouchers and some discount too.
|
|
|
|
| klm4. 01. 2011 11:34:02 |
Cordura is a Spanish manufacturer of nylon materials, no worse than Schoeller's, although the latter is most revered among hikers. However in practice it turns out that the material characteristics are more or less identical, at least regarding the basic requirements of water resistance, breathability, elasticity. Presented are two models of the brand from local shops and one from Poland marketed by Kibuba. The Polish manufacturer is undoubtedly very quality and will remain so, because due to cheap production it will stay on home soil in the future, thus also control. That's already one of the important components in the final purchase decision. As for the material - extendo - it has identical characteristics to those in Karibu products, except it's elastic in all four directions, while Karibu's are "only" in two. The price of products is practically identical, so you have to inspect the products well (seams, precision/quality of manufacturing), try them on and buy those in which you feel the best...
|
|
|
|
| ms507. 03. 2011 20:09:33 |
I'm interested in buying Brynje Antarctic Polar jacket, which is sold by Samas company from Velenje. By description and characteristics it looks ok, except the price. Maybe someone uses it. I know that special forces at police use it. best regards and thanks for info
|
|
|
|
| ms5013. 03. 2011 18:47:28 |
Forgot to mention that I use quite a few products from this Norwegian company. Brynje super merino shirts and headband, and hat. I have to admit that it works quite well for me or rather that these are the best products I've used so far. Now I'm interested in this Polar jacket too best regards
|
|
|
|
| viharnik13. 03. 2011 19:56:23 |
Brynje underwear is in a class of its own, which I managed to feel through usage experience.I also have Craft underwear, which is not bad.If I compare with Brynje though, it's several levels more quality, and with mesh construction unbeatable in severe cold among all polar products.As for quality at Brynje, although slightly more expensive, you practically don't see any wear on the product material.After years it's like you just brought it from the store.The material is A1.Others have been replaced at least twice by then, regarding other companies of course.
|
|
|
|
| TanjaM18. 10. 2011 18:57:47 |
Hello, what clothes do you use for summer or transitional periods? I'd like to get upper clothes for summer, but such that they'll be useful also in winter (at least partly), given that in winter I don't go to mountains but more like Pokljuka style and stomping around for a couple hours. I'm super cold-sensitive and usually in summer wind chills me on top, despite changing up there and having base shirt, thin longs, fleece (regular) and windbreaker. Now, in one store the seller advised thick softshell and also Polartec thermal pro if harsh, in the other at most medium softshell (is windstopper better?) and thin down jacket. But no windbreaker. Now I'm confused ...
|
|
|
|
| IgorZlodej18. 10. 2011 20:01:43 |
I'll start wearing cotton shirts again, shirt and wool pullover, because everything else is worthless, just costs a bunch of money
|
|
|
|
| viharnik18. 10. 2011 20:24:26 |
Those quasi sellers would impose everything from their assortment if possible! For the mountains, usually no intermediate clothing variant is suitable to cover all seasons optimally together, not even partially. In summer you get cold, because you are in excessive clothes or an impermeable windbreaker on top. Then we need only a long-sleeve or short-sleeve shirt, exceptionally a warmer short-sleeve summer polartec if climbing north faces or hiking. At the top we change (if sweaty) and put on a softshell that breathes and protects from wind. In winter dress in good winter base layer (most important), also medium sports wool if needed, middle fleece pullover layer and on top winter softshell or warmer fleece jacket at very low temps. If windy and snowy, then Gore-Tex jacket and pants on top. But know that winter softshell mostly can't be combined with thicker fleece jacket below, because they can't be zipped together, as the seller wrongly advised. In hard winter conditions, better for full protection: good medium fleece or thicker fleece and Gore-Tex, Event, H2NO waterproof jacket. For cold, very good thin medium fleece 100 and thin goose or synthetic down jacket. Use mainly at rest or descent from mountain in severe cold, less on ascents.
|
|
|
|
| geppo18. 10. 2011 20:28:37 |
 I don't have most of those listed above. Up to -20C I endure without worry with softshell for 30eur (Tuš zvezdice). And that only if really north wind doesn't pull into parked backpack. Otherwise hunting jacket, shirt and cotton shirt below. Regards
|
|
|
|
| geppo18. 10. 2011 20:28:55 |
|
|
|
|
| viharnik18. 10. 2011 20:31:42 |
Igor, everything leads to natural and it's healthier and much cheaper than what other long-time users, mountaineers and rare honest sellers already note
|
|
|
|
| IgorZlodej18. 10. 2011 20:37:07 |
It's funny to me, every year before winter same topic, what clothes, this and that, what layers, onion, whatever. Although I've written many times, once more. Everything good for standing still. But when hiking, climbing, skiing everything gets crappy, regardless of fancy brand names. I'd ask how much you're even in mountains in winter and what you do there. What I have serves well, and I'm out quite a bit.
|
|
|
|
| viharnik18. 10. 2011 20:49:00 |
Exactly as Igor wisely wrote. Those various membrane types that famous brands fight over are actually just a magnet for buyers on the consumer base of end products. How much does that overpriced membrane weigh, which has its own shelf life too, that's another pair of shoes. Better not talk about the price of these products. Windstopper gloves warm less than normal fleece gloves (they no longer sell them due to profit margins), breathe less, cost 4x more. etc
|
|
|
|
| viharnik18. 10. 2011 21:06:12 |
Even Ötzi walked in winter through Ötztaler Alps dressed only in furs and leather shoes wrapped with rope around the leg and a stick instead of an ice axe.
|
|
|
|
| DarjaZaplotnik18. 10. 2011 21:07:17 |
If Ötzi went for depilation, he'd be cold too, right? Ugh, how much you complicate with clothes. I'm quite a bit in the terrain, but I don't have at all everything you list. And I wear the same clothes "around" practically all year, especially Swiss underwear. Well, that's the most problematic. I haven't found a formula yet on how to wash it so that in the morning before going to the terrain you don't have the feeling that you pulled the sweaty one out of the backpack.
|
|
|
|
| pika18. 10. 2011 21:20:44 |
If possible, wash the underwear at a slightly higher temperature (I wash it at 60 and it's still ok), and every now and then add regular alcoholic vinegar to the powder for softening. It surely helps, and don't worry that it will smell like vinegar , because it airs out. And you save money, because it works the same as Calvex .
|
|
|
You must log in to post a comment:
If you do not yet have a username, you must first
register.