Hike.uno
Hike.uno
Login
Login
Username:
Password:
Login
Not registered yet? Registration.
Forgot password?
      

Road to Vrata

Print
seinfeld14. 09. 2023 14:26:59
I think turbo's proposal is appropriate. And I'm in favor of charging parking fees at the most crowded spots.
But for me the pleasure of hiking is where I meet few or no people and I don't have to drive 2 hours alone to the starting point. Not to mention the carbon footprint. That's why I avoid these most popular spots in the Julian Alps in a big arc.
I go on foot (or by bike) from home and in solitude cover the same distance, the same elevation meters as if I were going to Triglav.
like
jax14. 09. 2023 14:44:14
I think turbo's proposal is appropriate. And I'm in favor of charging parking fees at the most crowded spots.

At Falzarego Pass I parked for free. If this isn't among the most crowded, I don't know which is.
(+2)like
zappa14. 09. 2023 16:33:21
I was at Veliki Oltar a while ago. I was looking for that P further from Poldov rov in pitch dark and missed it and unintentionally drove to the main parking lot. Time was 05:20. Parking was packed full. Sure, I haven't been in Vrata for a few years but usually around 7:30 am you could still find a spot. Packed at 5 am is a bit too much. I turn around and find parking a bit further from Poldov rov. There were already two cars there. I change and Slovaks arrive. They ask if it's free here. They say they're going to Triglav. I say yes, but 2 km further there's parking for Triglav and it's 6 euros. They said they'd park here and extend the tour by 2 km. Because of 6 euros. It doesn't bother me, but it bothers me that because of such people we'll have it even around all other mountains near Oltar, Kukova špica etc. What worries me more is for us Styrians if it's already full at five. For me Vrata is one of the closer starting points for Julijci but even to here I need well over two hours. And I already wake up at 2 am. And then what? I drive to parking and it's full. Go back to the bus and say it's full. Should I go home? Plan B? I know there are many other starting points where I often go but I think in the end everything will fill up.. Best regards
(+6)like
capraibex14. 09. 2023 17:05:38
Turbo has the best proposal, probably too good and light years ahead of TNP policy. What opinion does PZS have on all this, which could influence the events? Maybe even-odd system (one day foreigners, next day locals)velik nasmehnasmeh.
(+1)like
n3jc14. 09. 2023 17:38:21
This year they increased accommodation capacities in Vrata (Gustlnov dom) and I wouldn't be surprised if they expand the parking inside too...
(+1)like
LISAC14. 09. 2023 17:54:26
turbo bravo for this, copying:

Relatively simple to arrange things, even so that the wolf is fed and the goat whole.

From 22h to 3h at night the valley is closed, all traffic prohibited, night peace.

From 3h to 7h the road is open, during this time those going to the mountains park there. Anywhere from Vrata. From 3h so you can start the tour after half past four, in summer early hour helps.

From 7h to 13h only bus traffic allowed (tourism).

From 13h to 15h road open, bus doesn't run then. Those going to the hut arrive in Vrata, from where they'll go on tour next day, and those who finished the tour leave the valley.

From 15h to 19h again only bus traffic (tourism).

From 19h to 22h again only cars, in and out of the valley.

This traffic schedule applies say from 15.6. to 15.9., outside that time the road is normally open to all vehicles, as it is now.

If the authorities thought at least half as well, everything would be feasible nasmeh
(+3)like
dprapr14. 09. 2023 19:05:59
zappa
During the week it's not crowded. Last Tuesday we Styrians parked without problem at 7.30 in Vrata. There was still plenty of space, weather top. Stena nicely in shade too. nasmeh
At the Za Cmirem junction, where the sign for parking (for bivouac II?) is, there was nobody either.
like
dragon14. 09. 2023 19:19:18
On Tuesday returning from Planina Blato I overtook two Germans at the parking meter before the barrier. Since they didn't know how it works they asked me for help. "Insert ticket here" I say, "money here, 20 euros". "Oh my God" the woman says quite loudly.
Yes, even for rich foreigners this is quite usurious. And someone will say why not go by bus. Because in September it runs only on weekends. They say don't go by car to the mountains, then offer us impossible alternatives.
(+5)like
Kafetarca14. 09. 2023 20:11:50
I also like the PZS proposal that we should go to the mountains by train...
(+2)like
piotr14. 09. 2023 21:34:54
This isn't the road to Vrata, but Julian Alps and public transport trip.
Last weekend I took the train at 3.15 from MB to LJ, where there was a (good) connection to the NG train at 6.50 with 1hjezen
wait. So I arrived at the starting point in Podbrdo around 9.
Despite nice weather I was the only passenger getting off there and set off relatively late to Črno prst, Rodica and Ribčev laz.
In Bohinj I caught the bus at 18.40, which due to many passengers around Bled got quite delayed, so I no longer believed I'd make the train in Lesce. But sometimes SŽ delays are "welcome", so I caught the delayed train to LJ.
Of course in LJ due to time pressure at transfer no snack. I arrived at destination at 23.30.zavijanje z očmi
Really long trip (11h transport, 8h hiking); on foot from Primorska to Gorenjska and with public transport to Štajerska.nasmeh
(+11)like
dprapr14. 09. 2023 22:11:43
Couldn't have presented it better, how optimistic public transport enthusiasts imagine day trips from Styria to the west of the country.
In short, a glimpse into the bright, sustainable future. nasmeh
(+7)like
mirank14. 09. 2023 22:54:39
It's no better from Gorica either. When we planned a tour from Boh Bistrica over Črni prst to Podbrdo we racked up an hour and a half delay on the trainzavijanje z očmi Good the tour schedule isn't tight... Times when you got off the train before Jesenice on the Gorizia line, crossed the Sava and hiked to Stol aren't coming back.
(+2)like
franci12314. 09. 2023 23:55:03
Day trips with public transport are a pretty poor option. If at all, it makes sense to plan a multi-day tour and take advantage that you're not tied to a parking lot and can start and end at different locations. Of course such a tour will go past some hut, and lo and behold, precisely paths past huts are already the most crowded now.
(+2)like
Trobec15. 09. 2023 00:22:48
Hehe Miran, something similar I once wanted to pull off as a club outing. First day train from Sežana to Podbrdo, from there to Črno prst. Second day along the ridge to Vogel, descent to Ukanc, local bus back to Boh Bistrica for the train. But I figured out... yeah... in the whole day you take exactly 2 trains mrk pogled
The only feasible option was to leave cars in Boh Bistrica in front of Mercator at one of the last free parking lots (not sure if it's still the case today).
(+1)like
ljubitelj gora16. 09. 2023 10:53:02
When you come to the valley in summer it's 50% foreigners. For Slovenians entry should be free until a certain time or until the capacity is filled; it's a state road. If they don't respect working people, no wonder they go abroad.
(+4)like
Kafetarca16. 09. 2023 11:24:51
Mountain lover, sadly dividing into Slovenians/foreigners wouldn't be fair or would be discriminatory, likewise it would be discriminatory if parking perks were only for PZS members. Apparently.

So it'll obviously stay that we either resist or slowly say goodbye to the mountains. mrk pogled
(+2)like
mavi1216. 09. 2023 12:51:34
Why isn't it also discriminatory that residents of these municipalities get it free or ridiculously low special prices, who so happily put up barriers in recent years (at least in Bohinj everyone has it, not just those for access to their plot)? Isn't that also discriminatory towards all Slovenians who aren't residents of these select municipalities, and of course all foreigners nasmeh
(+4)like
ljubitelj gora16. 09. 2023 12:51:49
...this also applies if some have entry, others don't, that's also called discrimination then.
(+2)like
dprapr16. 09. 2023 13:44:53
Where there is a barrier, it's normal for locals to have free entry, since they are landowners. But if they aren't owners, then it really is discriminatory to others. Like it wouldn't be right to obstruct foreigners' entry.
(+3)like
jax16. 09. 2023 13:48:34
Those Bohinj folks aren't landowners on the Plateau or only exceptionally so.
(+6)like
Page:123...1617181920...303132
You must log in to post a comment:
Username:
Password:
Login
If you do not yet have a username, you must first register.
         
Copyright © 2026 Hike.uno, Terms of use, Privacy and cookies