Hike.uno
Hike.uno
Login
Login
Username:
Password:
Login
Not registered yet? Registration.
Forgot password?
      

Trekking poles

Print
pikica124. 02. 2013 12:29:23
Unscrew it, the basket has a thread, don't just pull it.
like
lakkon24. 02. 2013 16:58:08
But unscrew only the basket or the whole tip? Because this basket doesn't move anywhere with turning. Maybe just leave it as it is now. Both. Can't even remove the winter one. A bit afraid only on steeper slopes that something happens to this movable winter one when it touches the solid small basket too often.
like
lakkon26. 02. 2013 18:43:50
The small snow basket has no thread, but is positioned on the tip in a slightly narrower section, from where it's hard to remove and reinsert it, which also means it's practically impossible to lose. I unscrewed the tip with the basket, quickly dipped it in hot water and with a screwdriver and small hammer managed to pry it off somehow. Just turning didn't help. Similarly I soaked the large alpine basket and set it without much trouble. Then I read the instructions:

http://www.tehnomat.si/custom/file/navodila_za_uporabo_zlozljivih_palic.pdf

which I'll follow a bit more closely next time I change them.
like
1mitjas27. 02. 2013 16:22:25
The baskets go down nicely if you heat them with a hairdryer, for up often soapy water suffices, or the hairdryer again.
like
1mitjas27. 02. 2013 16:23:14
But I checked the instructions and saw that these poles are more sophisticated.
like
sinni15. 08. 2013 10:13:53
hey! i'm wondering if i can get a middle section of hiking poles somewhere? i paid 50€ for them but pity to throw away! McKinley, black! maybe someone has some unusable ones! thanks!
like
urbancek15. 08. 2013 16:10:59
I also had the tip slip off on Leki Makalu, and can't do anything... Haven't seen lower segments anywhere, tips are expensive as saffron, and you somehow have to get everything off and back on/stuck... Shameful that for brands BD, Leki in Slovenia you can't get all spare parts and have to just throw away the poles if damaged...jezen
like
som6915. 08. 2013 20:15:34
In the company Tehnomat - Kranj they service hiking poles of all brands...
(+1)like
bruny18. 08. 2013 22:25:26
I use poles for nordic walking...once years ago I bought them from mežikanje a pile at one of the German discounters and was positively surprised already at the first activity. Durable, while my telescopic ones kept breaking, bending, slipping, jamming etc... Now the quality has advanced even more and I always get the longest ones and they last and last, so I don't even think about fancier ones like Leki...Nordic ones are sufficient in my case and for my needs...
like
roman123410. 03. 2014 15:27:03
I'm wondering whether to take carbon or aluminum hiking poles? regards
like
Azael10. 03. 2014 15:50:35
Aha who makes iron poles? And who carries those 4-5 kilograms around?

Aluminum bends and can be straightened, if the pole isn't some cheap/brittle one.

1
like
jax10. 03. 2014 16:06:07
Did you manage to straighten it to the point that you could fold the pole again?
like
pikica110. 03. 2014 16:36:15
Yes they can be straightened. I accidentally ran over mine with the car last year.
They were even much more bent than those in the picture above. I straightened them right there on the spot. I stuck the pole between two trees that were grown closer together and slowly twisted them back. But I first collapsed the pole so I had only the lower part in hand. They collapse normally, I have to look really closely to figure out which one was bent. They're like new big grin
(+2)like
Azael10. 03. 2014 19:19:59
I straightened the pole, of course, partially on the terrain, more finely at home in a vise. Wasn't the first time.
These are cheap Kohla Alpen-Pro from around 2000 I think.
A good pole doesn't bend just like that, what's on the picture is result of slip/fall and landing with boot directly on the pole.

Personally I prefer slightly heavier and thicker poles exactly because of such incidents. Ultralight ones are light sure but all the more sensitive.
like
roman123412. 03. 2014 17:41:36
Bought CAMP
Folding poles
BACKCOUNTRY CARBON some kind of carbon aluminum combination
like
Azael13. 03. 2014 21:13:58
Not a combination, it's carbon. OK poles for a good price.
like
viharnik14. 03. 2014 06:25:21
In terms of quality of trekking pole profiles, probably none beats Kohla. I use the most robust Adventure ones and under load during ski touring as three-parters they don't compress even a bit. In France I wedged one pole into a crack between rocks and pulled forward while walking. The pole did bend a bit under heavy load but I straightened it right there on my knee back to the original position. Now the pole is completely straight again. Kohla quality is undisputedly confirmed by my 20 years of usewinking.
like
sodnick14. 03. 2014 07:32:01
I also have Kohla Alpen pro for more than 10 years. Really durable poles. I've bent them left and right too but when you straighten them they're like new...
like
Kranj3. 05. 2014 14:02:28
Hi, are you all in the mountains?smile
like
Martin V.11. 05. 2014 20:12:07
Does anyone know if there is a model of trekking poles where the handle material stays cold for quite a while, especially in summer heat? I have a problem with palms burning from holding the poles.
like
Page:1234567891011
You must log in to post a comment:
Username:
Password:
Login
If you do not yet have a username, you must first register.
         
Copyright © 2026 Hike.uno, Terms of use, Privacy and cookies