Clothing for hiking in the mountains
|
| roman123417. 01. 2013 15:34:01 |
Yes, say it's snowy. I'm asking so that the shopkeepers don't accidentally rip me off.....lp
|
|
|
|
| jax17. 01. 2013 22:57:11 |
You're asking up to Roblek? You don't need anything special. Just dress warmly. Some jacket, even a ski one is fine if you don't have anything else (its problem is only that it's very thick single-layer - so the issue might be that it's either too hot or too cold for you), underneath dress as usual/in summer, and maybe a sweater or fleece in the backpack if it's really cold (or put it on instead of the jacket for an in-between option). As for pants, it doesn't matter, up to Roblek you won't be wading through knee-deep anyway, so they don't even need to be waterproof. Take the same ones you hike in summer with (well, not shorts...). Yeah, but you really need gaiters. All that should be plenty enough, unless it's really very cold. But then I doubt you'd feel like going up anyway. Oh, I forgot. Hat and gloves, definitely. And sunglasses, if not really necessary in summer, they are in winter. Of course, with a slightly better jacket (I have a lined Mammut one and it's great) you can make life much easier. But for the first time, this is enough too.
| (+1) |  | |
|
|
|
|
| roman123418. 01. 2013 11:28:55 |
http://www.inlinehockeydiscount.com/swd-hooded-soft-shell-jacket.html Would this jacket be ok? I got it in some hockey raffle. Underneath I'd put an active long-sleeve tee and fleece. For pants I could buy Milo ones, for starters maybe some tracksuit pants with ski thermals underneath. Can the reserve windbreaker be a regular anorak? I have gaiters, hat and gloves too. lp
|
|
|
|
| cebelca18. 01. 2013 12:02:57 |
All you need to know is that even if you're freezing like a dog at the start , after a quarter hour of uphill walking you'll be sweating. It hasn't happened yet, not even at minus ten and below, that I hiked uphill in a jacket, any kind. Exception only if there's wind, then different rules apply. You'll take the jacket off soon and walk just in shirt and fleece. And I hope you have a thin fleece, because if not it'll be too hot even in fleece.  The problem with cotton tracksuits is only that once they get wet, they don't dry easily. Milo pants will be just fine. Anorak by my experience suffices completely if there's a thicker fleece underneath. Important is just that it doesn't blow through.
| (+4) |  | |
|
|
|
|
| Kaja273719. 01. 2013 00:45:20 |
Does anyone use merino wool underwear? Is it worth buying, does it insulate even when wet or what's up with that?  Thanks!
|
|
|
|
| kolobar19. 01. 2013 10:08:56 |
No underwear insulates when wet, the point of active underwear is that it dries much faster than cotton because it wicks/transfers moisture to the outside. The advantage of merino underwear is that it feels better on the skin (natural, like cotton) than plastic active underwear. Another big advantage is that after intense sweating it doesn't stink like regular active shirts and you can wear one shirt on a multi-day trip without suffocating in your own stench. Of course it's smart to have two, so you can change if the one you're wearing is soaked.
|
|
|
|
| viharnik19. 01. 2013 10:29:48 |
Wool, even when wet, still gives warmth to the body and works well on energy flow and overall well-being. Polyamide is good for day trips with lots of sweating. Products from wool and cotton are coming back into focus from the past and price-wise not much more expensive than synthetic materials made from recycled bottles.
|
|
|
|
| Martin M.19. 01. 2013 10:59:10 |
Wet wool warms. Merino fibers are much more hydrophilic (absorbent) compared to synthetics, they bind better with water. They can hold up to 35% moisture before feeling wet. This means that 100% merino material can absorb moisture equivalent to 35% of the material's net weight before it feels wet. Why wet wool warms.
|
|
|
|
| 75'er22. 01. 2013 15:44:11 |
I'm looking for a jacket that can withstand some shower or a couple hours of wet snow, at the same time as breathable as possible, since I sweat quite a bit. Given it's still sale time, can anyone recommend some model at a decent price? (up to 200 €) Oh, it doesn't need to be warm, since I can have additional clothes underneath.
|
|
|
|
| 75'er22. 01. 2013 21:59:35 |
Unfortunately it's no longer in stock. 
|
|
|
|
| marjanovski21. 03. 2013 21:25:43 |
75'er, there's a Saleewa jacket at Kibuba for 200... I'd say it's a solid deal. Cheaper option is a slightly better windbreaker. Or check stores with work protection gear....not so pretty, but often more practical and especially cheaper. When oil runs out we'll all be in wool and cotton 
|
|
|
|
| marjanovski21. 03. 2013 21:25:49 |
75'er, there's a Saleewa jacket at Kibuba for 200... I'd say it's a solid deal. A cheaper option is a slightly better windbreaker. Or check stores with work protection gear.... not so pretty, but often more practical and especially cheaper. When oil runs out we'll all be in wool and cotton 
|
|
|
|
| marjanovski21. 03. 2013 21:26:17 |
75'er, there's a Saleewa jacket at Kibuba for 200... I'd say it's a solid deal. A cheaper option is a slightly better windbreaker. Or check stores with work protection gear.... not so pretty, but often more practical and especially cheaper. When oil runs out we'll all be in wool and cotton 
|
|
|
|
| Azael2. 02. 2014 23:35:08 |
And who uses an eVent jacket for a long time (e.g. 10 years)? Opinions, observations? I'm especially interested in water resistance.
|
|
|
|
| roman123420. 02. 2014 12:20:59 |
What do you think of this jacket? The North Face - Evolve II Triclimate - Doppeljacke. Also interested if all fleece jackets are from Polartec Classic? With this jacket I'd have fleece that can be worn separately for active hiking when I'd arrive at the goal, then I'd use the upper part for wind protection. With discount I get it for 110 euros. lp
|
|
|
|
| Azael20. 02. 2014 21:32:48 |
For emergency it's totally OK, but not really some serious jacket for mountains (basic TNF line). HyVent material is proven durable and doesn't let water through, but breathes poorly; if jacket has no pit zips it's already a problem. Hood on this model is sufficiently usable. Fleece is thin basic, main zipper without wind flap and pockets have no zips. Fleeces aren't all Polartec, this one is -- if I'm not mistaken I have the same, but cut is very weird and I rarely wear it. Doesn't fit nicely on body, pulls up and bunches above belly. As said, for emergency it's fine, price relatively acceptable, but jacket is more for undemanding daily walks than for mountains.
| (+2) |  | |
|
|
|
|
| jax20. 02. 2014 21:40:25 |
At first glance, it seems quite similar to my Mammut. I think it'll be just fine, even for the mountains. Well, probably not for 8000, but for Slovenian high mountains it'll suffice perfectly, even in winter.
| (+1) |  | |
|
|
|
|
| ljubitelj gora20. 02. 2014 22:08:46 |
I have nothing from recognized brands, gaiters I buy the cheapest, boots are from Alpine, jacket is just some random one, likewise the pullover which proved itself on winter Triglav when I awaited sunrise, held up fine and also on other winter ascents. Pants are from Kibuba but material already lost properties, gets wet sooner and dries longer. I have extra clothes with me if need to change. Glasses from Lidl, gloves from Interspar and Sportsdirect (have extras). In summer I hike in the mountains in boots, shorts and a t-shirt plus gaiters just in case and don't forget extra clothes because weather can change quickly.
| (+3) |  | |
|
|
|
|
| Azael20. 02. 2014 22:24:17 |
That's fine, eventually you buy something better. A good piece of clothing lasts easily 10 years and is cheaper long-term than cheap "one-year" stuff. Up the scale come better materials, comfort, cuts, details... usually you start to appreciate it all when you first really freeze/get soaked/get wind-beaten... then the (too high) price doesn't play such a big role in choice anymore 
| (+2) |  | |
|
|
|
You must log in to post a comment:
If you do not yet have a username, you must first
register.