Hike.uno
Hike.uno
Login
Login
Username:
Password:
Login
Not registered yet? Registration.
Forgot password?
      

Clothing for hiking in the mountains

Print
IgorZlodej4. 01. 2012 18:06:39
To understand the usefulness of various clothes for the mountains we should first know what sweating or perspiration is. So first a few words about it. Sweating is a physiological process essential for humans to regulate body temperature. Sweat glands are located all over the skin. By secreting body fluids containing many metabolites and also toxic substances they enable evaporation of these fluids and thus cool the skin. Sweating is therefore beneficial and necessary.

Anti-sweat underwear doesn't exist. But there are different underwear materials some better others worse at absorbing moisture-sweat and "breathing" differently. Of course the clothes worn over the underwear are important too and again the "breathing" factor of moisture permeability plays a role. I've tried everything possible and clothes were always more or less soaked. Certain materials dry faster after use and also emit different odors depending on food eaten, body bacteria, hygiene. In short, if you're active you can't avoid damp underwear; for standing still though basically everything works although salespeople of such products have their opinionnasmeh.
(+8)like
JakaM4. 01. 2012 20:00:38
Hestia Dry Q Elite pants, interested if anyone maybe uses these pants and how they perform for him? Thanks for reply.. velik nasmeh
like
Sano4. 01. 2012 20:18:53
Of course "Swiss" underwear is also soaked or damp as that's its function - to absorb moisture from sweating and transfer it to the next clothing layer thus providing relatively good dry feeling on our skin. True though that the second clothing layer must also "breathe" otherwise active base layer loses purpose since moisture has nowhere to go.
(+1)like
skalar504. 01. 2012 23:46:34
Igor with the sentence "anti-sweat underwear doesn't exist" said practically everything.

I myself probably like many who've been hiking for years have tried several brands of active underwear. Competition is at least that's my feeling getting stronger.

Last years I swear most on (price performance) Craft and Lowe Alpine. But that's of course just personal taste...
(+1)like
viharnik5. 01. 2012 08:06:53
Experience shows that Brynje mesh underwear for very low temperatures and thus moisture transfer outward is currently the best choice at least for me. The feel on the skin is incomparably drier than other surface continuous underwear, very warm due to air retention (insulator) in the knitted empty space, and the material is top quality and indestructible. I recommend it for temps below -5°C (above too hot) and suitable for multi-day tours with winter bivouac, since the underwear doesn't need to be changed, it dries very fast. Norwegians already know from experience how to handle harsh winter conditions.mežikanje
(+2)like
facko5. 01. 2012 21:51:16
@katty: it was back when the "Nature-health" fair existed and I stopped - by chance - at their stand. Then a friendly lady addressed me - the conversation went something like this:

Do you know our products?
- no
Do you do any sports?
- no
Do you hike in mountains?
- nasmeh yeeeeeeeees
Do you sweat?
- don't ask ... sauna on two legs velik nasmeh

Then she took a piece of ordinary fabric / cotton, soaked it in water, wrung it out and put it on my hand.
What feeling do you have? Kind of like having a sweat-soaked t-shirt on?
- of course ... jezen

Then she took a piece of fabric from which their products are made, soaked it in water, wrung it out and put it on my hand.
What feeling do you have now?
- totally something else - I almost don't feel the moisture like before ... nasmeh

Since then almost 10 such or different of their t-shirts have accumulated in my "collection" - with short sleeves, or without, with narrower or wider shoulder straps etc. And since then I don't remember ever changing after a day hike ...

LP

Now when I have time for hiking measured to a minimum I use "Swiss" t-shirts - especially in autumn - for home fitness (saw, axe, shovel and similar hardware)
like
pohodnik3830. 01. 2012 19:07:52
That's how it was back when they started hiking in mountains....
...it was once...1
(+1)like
D0men30. 01. 2012 20:13:34
For first layer which is most important I swear by CRAFT, for next ones I'm not picky just that functionality matches price of clothing.
nasmeh

like
lynx31. 01. 2012 09:43:16
and who knows how warm Kurent costumes are?
like
Loni19. 06. 2012 14:49:18
MajaO, here's another one who happily puts them on.
like
sjevnika20. 06. 2012 14:45:18
Hello MajaO and Loni,

where do you get those compression calf sleeves? I'm also looking for something that wouldn't "bunch up" in the shoes. And if they're also compatible with Hanwag gojzer boots it would be perfect, because I got them too.

Thanks and best,

Saša
like
legenda20. 06. 2012 15:44:27
Sjevnika, maybe this will be useful for you:

http://www.lekarnar.com/izdelki/cep-sportne-kompresijske-nogavice-za-treking-sive

Have a nice day
like
sjevnika21. 06. 2012 08:39:47
Thanks for the quick info legenda and MajaO,

I'll order them, try them and hope they work for me too. I really hate those vague sock sizes 35-38, which even though the owner has size 39 foot, but unfortunately narrow, without high instep, are way too big and cause "bunching" in the shoes. I hope this compression will help keep the socks in place. I'm starting to lose patience a bit, but hope dies last.

Same with shoes, everything always slipped on my foot, then on Maja's recommendation on this portal I tried Hanwag. And I dare say that's it.

And one more thing: just for fun last year I bought a partially functional "fuzzy" shirt for 5.00 € in a sports store. I won't give it up anymore, I've never worn anything so pleasant in cold days. At the end it's of course wet on the back, so what, functional clothes are too. You simply change it for a dry "fuzzy" shirt.

Have a good time, best, Saša
(+1)like
Loni22. 06. 2012 13:00:12
AGP PRO in Kranj, which also has CVX socks, more expensive are CEP ones (VIK Tržič), you can get them (don't know exactly which brands all) also in Tomas Sport... There's more and more of that. I also have these calf socks http://www.nogavice-cep.si/tek/nogavcki, because compression socks can sometimes be a bit fiddly to put on, and in the mountains I like to take them off during breaks nasmeh At first I got them for longer runs, now I mostly use them just for the mountains.
(+1)like
foxy5. 07. 2012 14:24:23
@maja

I ordered them, but they're too big for me, unfortunately no smaller than S
like
rs565. 07. 2012 22:52:42
I agree with Viharnik that Brynje underwear is very high quality. I got myself a Brynje multisport T-shirt and tested it last weekend. Despite the great heat and my sweating, the skin under the shirt was dry. The feeling is really pleasant, which doesn't apply to some other shirts, despite established "brands".
(+1)like
Alni11. 07. 2012 12:55:04
Which socks do you recommend for those who wear slightly lower socks? Normal length I meannasmeh
like
Zebdi11. 07. 2012 12:57:22
I have Bridgedale, and they're great for me nasmeh
like
roman123417. 01. 2013 14:20:18
I'm interested in how a mountaineer should equip himself for a winter ascent to Roblek or similar ascents. I'm especially interested in what to wear? What jackets and pants do you recommend? Are softshell jackets okay? lp
like
Pohodnica5617. 01. 2013 15:23:28
Depends on what kind of winter it is, dry, wet, velik nasmeh Anyway, we dress like onions.
like
Page:123...7891011...141516
You must log in to post a comment:
Username:
Password:
Login
If you do not yet have a username, you must first register.
         
Copyright © 2026 Hike.uno, Terms of use, Privacy and cookies